Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Wednesday, December 15, 2004

Tuesday's Workout

Even though I felt like I could have run on Monday, I decided to rest after running a half marathon in Lake Charles on Sunday.

I regularly workout at the Bally's location at Rayford/Sawdust Road. I usually do cardio work on the elliptical trainer and the stationery bike and I feel like this pays off even without running.

Two days before the Anadarko Run Thru The Woods on Thanksgiving morning, I did almost two hours of cardio work on both Tuesday and Wednesday. I usually try to put the elliptical trainer on level 13, random and keep the rpm's between 70 and 75 mph. I go for an hour and try to aim for move than 6 miles (which is about what my 10K time is -- 1:01:14). Well, I PR'd at the 5-mile distance in 49:45.

I did the same the week leading up to the 30K in Sugarland. The first 13 miles I did in 2:17, but I feared that not enough road work, combined with a lack of potassium (i.e. banana in the morning), caused me to tire and have calf cramps. I finished in 3:30. Respectable, but I could have gone out slower and finished faster.

On this night, I was on the stationery bike for an hour to being with. I had this on level 7 (which means I've now made the complete transition from level 6 without falling short).

I then did a little weight work on the machines. I need to do a lot more of this and get stronger in the upper and lower body. I did some lat pulldowns, abdominals and back extensions on the Life Fitness machines while getting in work on the machine that works the calves. (I usually do two sets of 12 repititions on each machine.)

Finally, I went to the elliptical trainer and pushed it to level 14, random, but I was only able to finish 30 minutes of work (while reading the January 2005 edition of Runner's World).

I got up this morning (on Wednesday) and did 100 situps. I got to the point earlier this year where I could do 300 without stopping. I could have gone further this morning, but decided not to push it (while easing back into the routine.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home