Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Saturday, January 15, 2005

hp Houston Marathon Expo - Day 2

After watching my daughter, Waverly, play basketball this morning in our church's Upward Basketball program, I ventured to the west side of town to join a group of Houston Striders at the Old Pasta Company on Westheimer, between Kirkwood and Dairy Ashford.

I then headed into downtown to go to the Health & Fitness Expo one more day before Sunday's hp Houston Marathon.

I specifically was going for two things: 1.) to buy a technical running shirt that Brooks Running had and 2.) to meet Paula Robertson of Coppell with the "Love The Half" Challenge. Paula had indicated that she has approximately 175 participants for the inaugural 2004-2005 challenge. I spent quite a bit of time talking to her and Lewis George of Dallas. George puts on a number of events, including the White Rock Half. Houston Striders that are also doing the "Love The Half" Challenge besides myself as Pam Paling, Frank Halter, Loren and Judith Neufeld, Jack Rubalcalva and Lisa Ruthven.

Other people seen at the Expo on Saturday included a lot of folks that I mentioned in an earlier day's blog entry: Ken Johnson (full), Ann Leoni (full), Denise Van Kuiken (5k) and Debbie Tripp (half). Geoff Guenther (half), HARRA webmaster and fellow Strider, was there to pick up his race packet as were Striders Chris Boylan, Bryon Everson and Whitney La Rocca. Noah Matthews (half) was manning the HARRA booth with one of the HEB Texas 10K Challenge finishers Gail Sabanosh.

I also had a chance to talk with the folks that were manning the Marine Corps Marathon booth and shared with them my experiences from this year.

Well, the weather looks great for tomorrow! The wind is expected to be in the 10-15 mph range so I'm going with a long sleeve technical shirt topped by my Marine Corps Marathon race jacket.

Semper Fi! And getting ready to do my best in marathon #2!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's 9:53, so you're well on your way. I'm sure you're doing a great job -- can't wait to hear about it!

-c
TxSkatemom
http://hooha.org/skatemom

7:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home