Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Sunday, February 06, 2005

Sunday Odds and Ends

While turning the mute off of the TV after the Paul McCartney halftime show during the Super Bowl, I noticed the M.D. Anderson advertisement and saw a runner / cancer survivor named Lourdes Hernandez. I did a little research and found that Lourdes is on the Komen Houston Affiliate 2004-05 Board of Directors. During the 2004 Race for the Cure, she posted a 25:35 5K and two years earlier was 8th in the Survivors competition with a time of 25:54.

Congratulations to fellow Striders Vic Kaiser (a reader of this blog) and Clarence Silva (a Fall 2004 Fitness PIMster) who ran their first ever HARRA event -- the Buffalo Wallow 6K Cross Country Championship on Saturday. It is the first of the 6-race HARRA 2005 Spring Series.

Another blog reader, Sarah Graybeal, noted in a comment earlier that the Mardi Gras Beach Run 5K course was short. Hard to ignore when your body (and your watch) tells you something seems to be a bit off. The On The Run Racing Team web site confirmed it indicating that "remeasurement put the course about 400 meters short of a full 5K." If anyone was going to know for sure, it would be On The Run runner Kira Abercromby. She won the female's division by over 3 minutes.

I ran this morning with a number of Striders out at Cullen Park on the west side of town. Becky Stevens, a fellow Fall PIMster, and I ran a good, steady six (6) miles. Steve Shepard, Lee Greb, Gavin Dillingham, Megan Clark-Dillingham, Sam Ogundele, Stacy Stepler, Barb Shepard, Rich and Patti Sears, Yoichi Morishima, Victor Curo and a couple of others who I haven't met yet. I was thinking about doing the half in Austin next Sunday at the Freescale Marathon, but I think that I'll pass. I was a little beat today after having a busy Saturday and next Saturday will be no different. I'll probably do at least two half marathons in March (the Bearathon on Saturday, March 5th and Moe's Better Half Marathon on Sunday, March 13th) and maybe the Seabrook Lucky Trail Marathon Relay.

I joked this morning about having the itch to do another half and I got strange looks! Of course, I've been told that I break all of the rules ... BUT I'm having fun and feeling great about myself.

In the meantime, Becky and I are planning on running about 7-8 miles on Sunday morning at Terry Hershey Park instead.

My workouts this past week:

Monday and Tuesday - Rest.
Wednesday - A little over two miles in bitter cold.
Thursday - 43 minutes on the elliptical trainer at the Bally's in West Hartford, CT (Level 14 random)
Friday night - 60 minutes on the elliptical trainer at the Bally's in The Woodlands (Level 14 random)
Saturday - 5K in Kingwood and then refereed three (3) half court youth basketball games at our church, North Park Baptist Church.
Sunday - 6 miles training run.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The remaining two are mighty mites Miriam Terc and Karen Rosenberg, both SMARTies, both Boston-qualified, both training for the Seabrook Marathon...Steve

6:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home