Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Sunday, March 13, 2005

A Major Step Back

Good morning. It's 6 a.m. on Sunday, March 13th and this may very well be the next to last entry you'll read in this blog.

I drove this morning to the outskirts of Brenham, heading west on 290 to go run Moe's Better Half Marathon in San Marcos, and turned around when I couldn't answer the following question: "Why am I doing this?" Oh, I had answers, but they weren't very valid ones.

I'm not physically hurt, but I need to step back and make sure that my reasons are indeed valid.

This may be a one-time warning, which is good regardless of the outcome, or it may be permanent one. Only the next couple of days will prove that out. And it may take longer. In the meantime, I've wiped out my calendar to the left to only what I have made commitments to.

If I stop running events regularly, I know that I did two things a lot of people will never have the fortitude to do and that's run a marathon. I did two of them! In eleven weeks, no less!

And I also know how to maintain a healthy lifestyle and to work to be in a lot better shape than what I've ever been, even when I weighed less than the 232 that I weighed in at the Bayou City Classic 10K Saturday morning downtown.

Please understand that this isn't burnout. (Without going into too many details, I have a lot of stresses also pulling at me.) Again, it may just be a reality check as far as time and resources. Who knows? I know right now that I sure don't know.

No matter the final outcome, I'm going back to bed, sleep and enjoy the morning in a different way than running 13.1 miles in humid and overcast conditions before driving three (3) hours back.

2 Comments:

Blogger Tiggs said...

Jon- Don't know exactly what's up, but like you said to me it sounds like you listened to yourself and made a good decision this morning. I've seen your extrememly full training and racing schedule, so I know running in a lot of ways has probably consumed most of your time and resources. I don't run nearly as much as you and I always feel liike my life is consumed with running. I'm sure you'll work through whatever it is, but let me just say I'd be sad to see you give up racing completely regardless of the reason. You're a great asset to the Houston running community. Good luck!

8:16 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Hi Jon, I can understand how you're feeling and I don't run nearly as full as schedule (races or travel distance to them!) as you do. If you need it, definitely take a step back, do some runs just for run, don't worry about your times! I'm currently in a similar situation...I lost some of my enjoyment of running during the marathon training and am trying to regain it...

10:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home