Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Saturday, April 23, 2005

GLOW (Giving to Light Others' Way) 5K Race Report

I ran on supposedly hallowed ground Friday night (i.e. the campus of Texas A&M University)! Yeah, right! Oh, that's Kyle Field. Where the yell leaders protect the field with drawn sabers. (Remember the incident in the early 1980s with the SMU cheerleaders?)

All joking aside, this was an event put on by the Maggies and the Aggies Men's Club that benefitted New Horizons, a school and home in Goldthwaite, Texas for kids who have been rescued from abusive backgrounds. It was a 5K -- it felt like a 5K (figuring that this course wasn't certified) -- that started towards the back of the campus near the Simpson Drill Field, took you towards the front of the campus near Business 6 and then back on the east side of Kyle Field before finishing close to the start.

The event started at 10:00 p.m. -- the latest of the 100 events that I've completed since I started running in January 2003. (In 2004, I did four (4) events that started later than 7:00 p.m. and eight (8) that started at 5:00 p.m. or later.)

No mile markers. One water stop (supposedly at the halfway point). But ... lots of co-eds to run by, with and behind. (Actually, it is probably why I ran so well because there were lots of students that I finished in front of.) The turnout was excellent. They were estimating near 1,200 participants!

I finished in 29:14.40, on my stopwatch! And I only stopped to walk once and probably didn't need to. I actually felt great about my running for once. (It took me a second once I crossed the finish line to get my watch stopped, but they called out 29:27 as I hit the line. My watch was 29:28.26 and I started it when runners took off; therefore, I took off a minute from my 29;15.40 time.)

Some statistics:
+ By time, it was my 4th best 5K ever. (49th career 5K)
+ It was the 4th straight 5K that I have dropped my time since ballooning to 30:26.10 on February 27th (but I had done two events on one day too).
+ By race score, it was my 7th best event of all time. (45 of the 100 have scored 50.0 or better now.)
+ It was my 20th event of the year (surpassing the 19 I did in 2003). At this point last year, I had completed 15.
+ It was the 25th different Texas city that I've done an event in.

I met David and Roianne Alston, who might have been one of the few runners over 25 there. Roianne is the race director for the May 7th LRC Pacesetter Spring 5K Run & Walk in the small town of Calvert, just north of Bryan/College Station and Hearne.

In less than seven (7) hours, Run The Woodlands #128 5K!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home