Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Sunday, June 26, 2005

The Latest

Alright, I've been busy. Let me try to get the regulars caught up as much as possible.

The legs felt fine from San Antonio on Saturday so I rested them on Sunday and Monday. (Although I did want to go run 11 on Sunday morning with the Striders.) Tuesday was a travel day from Albuquerque to Houston to Atlanta.

After our meeting at work on Wednesday, I went out to run at 4:50 p.m. thinking to myself: "It doesn't really feel that humid out here." Atlanta, of course, is a bit hilly (and I was out in a north suburb called Alpharetta). I ran for 10 minutes straight out Deerfield Parkway without stopping and then the heat and humidity started to kick in. Long story short: 20 minutes out, 20 minutes back. 40-minute (primarily) run!

Thursday night after I got back in a bit early from Atlanta, I spent an hour on the stationery bike at The Bally's in The Woodlands (before having to go back out to the airport to pick up a bag that arrived on a later flight.) So much for TSA and their 100% bag match!

Friday morning (after winning 4 free tickets to Astroworld on 93Q) and going to get Waverly at Houston Baptist University's Girls Basketball Camp, I ran 15:30 from just outside of Sharp Gymnasium on campus, out to Fondren, down Fondren to Beechnut, beyond the softball and baseball field, through Gate 4 and back to the gym. After getting some water, I ran it backwards in 14:30 ... in the morning heat. And I ran each way without stopping. That evening, I did 55 minutes on the elliptical trainer at Bally's.

Sooooooooooo .... I thought I was getting my fitness back a bit.

Then reality hit Saturday morning at Run The Woodlands 5K #132. I purposedly tried to keep it slow to try and run the entire 5K. I almost succeeded. Only stopped 3 times. Mile splits were as follows:

Mile 1 -- 9:45.52 (slowest mile 1 of the year)
Mile 2 -- 10:21.86
Mile 3 -- 10:35.99
Last .1 -- 55.25

Overall -- 31:38.62

I just have to start thinking long term. It is going to be a long buildup to get ready for New York City in November (and I need to start logging some more miles).

1 Comments:

Blogger Tiggs said...

Hey, WB to blogland :) This Sunday marks 4 weeks of no running for me so I am jealous and getting worried about just how horrible my fitness is going to be when I start up again. I'll probably only make it 2 minutes before I'm huffing and puffing!

9:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home