Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Yes, I'm Still Here!

Yoo hoo, I'm still around! Or would that be "Woo Hoo!" as our club's running coach, Steve Shepard, is known to say!

My running status: Disabled List!

After the tough 30-minute run of Monday, May 23rd, I took the remainder of the week off to try and provide some rest for my left calf muscle. In addition, my cardio workouts (i.e. stationery bike and elliptical machine) for the month of May have been almost nil.

Therefore, when I ran the Run The Woodlands 5K #130 on Saturday, it was one of the worst 5Ks I have ever done because in the middle of mile 2, the tear in the calf muscle flared up again and I struggled to a 31:17 5K, after a 9:06 (I think) first mile. (No, it isn't on my website yet either! I'm being lazy.)

The only real activity that I did running-related was to take over the online results. You can read them by clicking here.

The event experienced its second highest-ever turnout of 70 runners causing me to title the results, "Race for the Phone Cards," as nearly $300 dollars were raised for phone cards for U.S. troops associated with an Army reserve MP unit from Huntsville. (Yes, a dig at the $20 Race For The Pennant put on by the Astros. Drive 30 miles north and save $19!)

Again, I'm excited and flattered to be part of new "powers-to-be" as founder Don Drewniak states working with Mike Lucas and Stan Timmer (and the entire staff) of Luke's Locker as well as RTW veterans Tom McDonough (who updates the stats) and Debbie Tripp (who coordinated getting the pictures together this past week). We're all excited about keeping the spirit of the race going for another 130 races!

We enjoyed a special moment when Don ran his first RTW in nearly four years. His goal was to get under 30 minutes and beat me and he accomplished both. Had my leg not flared up on me, I would have given him a little better run for his money even though my physical fitness has dropped off since doing two half marathons just four weeks ago.

As for my running, I'm going to be reconcentrating on my cardiovascular workouts and trying to 1.) get back into the routine and 2.) double up on the workouts to try and give those muscles time to fully repair. I enjoy running and it is frustrating to not be able to do it like I like plus I've put on a couple of pounds. [Oh, I'm still in the size 38 dockers shorts, but I don't think I'm going to try the size 36 dockers shorts for a few weeks.]

My plan isn't to race until mid-June. I definitely am not doing anything this weekend and will probably attend my first Run The Woodlands 5K on June 11 and not run!

We'll see how it goes from here! -- JW

4 Comments:

Blogger Sarah said...

30 miles north and save $19...sure, but when you're in Clear Lake and Minute Maid Park is already 30 miles north of you... :(

One of these days I'd love to come do the Woodlands series once or twice, but it's too long a drive for me to drag myself out of bed yet...

8:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Was the weather at the RTW as miserable as the Astros race?! I felt horrible the entire time, I missed a PR by almost 1:15! (according to my watch). The worst part of the race though was that my chip didn’t work and I didn’t get an official time! Maybe I’ll just stick to treadmills until the fall again :(
-Jessica, a Houston runner

8:54 AM  
Blogger WalkSports.com said...

Sarah, I understand; however, I think it's worth doing one time. Chris Bittinger of the Bay Area Running Club comes up often, to use it as a time trial in his training. Maybe one Saturday, you, Cassie and Jessica (and anybody else) can all come up together or at the same time.

12:58 PM  
Blogger WalkSports.com said...

Jessica, yes, it was pretty humid up in The Woodlands too. I've had that happen once with my chip (last year's Bayou City Classic where the chip didn't trigger on the starting mat). Frustrating. Treadmills are fine, but come and get a guaranteed time at RTW. With the number of participants increasing, they have brought out one of the hand-held timing devices to "click" off times as finisher's finish.

1:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home