Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Tuesday Night Treadmill Run in ABQ

Any of you that have ever travelled for a living knows that life in a hotel can get a little boring and uninspiring. Last week, I was faced with that challenge and took off from running for three days; however, it may have been a blessing in disguise as I ran well on Saturday.

Earlier this evening, I was staring at the same potential situation.

I took Monday completely off from any exercise to give my legs some rest from a 6-mile run Sunday evening at Memorial Park with my friend, Shelley Stephenson. (I was also pretty proud of my daughter, Waverly, who logged two complete 2.9-mile brisk walking loops. She commented over the weekend that she had lost 5 pounds recently. Again, she's a solid 5'1" at 10 years of age. She even came to me Saturday morning after my race and asked if she could do the 5K on Marathon Day in January and I told her that, of course, she could.)

As it got to be close to 9:30 p.m. Mountain time, it came decision time on trying to do something. I laced up my new pair of Aasics Gel-Fortitude that I bought Sunday at Luke's Locker in The Woodlands to give them a dry run.

In an earlier post, I commented that the Marriott Courtyard here in Albuquerque had installed a new Precor treadmill. I can tell you that the miles setting means nothing on here though. It said that I did 7.11 miles in one hour this evening! That would be one heckuva 10K for me!

The weight setting must have been in kilograms so I set it as high as it would go and I chose a completely flat course that would allow me to control the miles per hour (mph) setting.

The plan was to go six (6) minutes at one setting and then increase it throughout the run until I had completed an hour. I set it at 6.2 mph to get started, got into the run and focused on trying to strike more on the front part of my foot. (When I got on the treadmill at Luke's on Sunday, they saw that I was a complete midstrike on my left foot but hit my heel and rolled my foot slightly to the outside on my right foot.) I also focused on keeping my arm movements north and south (and not crossing my body at all) while not letting them rise up real high.

The combination really felt good as I continued to up the mph setting each six (6) minutes. After 54 minutes, I had moved from 6.2 by .2 increments all the way to 7.8 mph. At the start of the last six (6) minute segment, I decided to try and simulate a strong finish and upped it .2 mph every minute going from 8.0 mph (for minute 55) to 9.0 mph (for the last minute).

Plans are for runs on Wednesday and Thursday evenings with maybe a swim or two before the half in Flagstaff on Saturday morning.

2 Comments:

Blogger Tiggs said...

*maybe* I will well enough to do the Houston 5k if Waverly needs a partner to run with :)

11:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Would love to hear more comments about the Asics Fortitude. I'm a 225 lb runner myself with mild pronation--would this shoe support me?

3:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home