Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Wednesday Personal Update

6:53 p.m. - I got my wife's cell phone voice mail message leaving the office, but I haven't been able to get a hold of anybody else again, including my sister's land or cell line. I'm thinking once I get home of heading north somewhere, but a AAA report was saying that they were booking people into hotel rooms in Oklahoma. My fear of leaving is not being able to get back into the area.

5:55 p.m. - I spoke with my Mom on her cell phone because I couldn't get through to her land line or the land line at my house. I got "all circuits are busy now" on both of their lines. Things are getting interesting, unfortunately.

5:45 p.m. - I'm currently in Bloomington, Indiana and I'll be heading to Houston in the morning (instead of returning on the regularly scheduled 5:20 p.m. flight.) My daughter, Waverly, is getting a bit anxious of the storm. (I can track her website activity on AOL and the last two days the only site she has gone to is Channel 2's site.)

My wife's brother, who lives in southwest Houston, is flying to Dallas tonight. My in-laws, who live just southeast of Willowbrook Mall, were boarding up their windows this afternoon. My wife reported this morning that prices of plywood were up approximately $8 per sheet. I talked to my parents this morning, who live just northwest of Intercontinental are waiting and seeing.

During Hurricane Alicia in 1983, we had some high winds out there but no real damage. But that was an upper Category 2 / lower Category 3 that came just west of downtown. (I remember the windows being blown off of downtown buildings.)

If you are a runner in the Gulf Coast area who reads this blog, please keep everyone up to date of your whereabouts by posting a comment on this thread or e-mailing me privately.

From reading Sarah's blog, she is heading to The Woodlands (Webster had a mandatory evacuation) and according to Edwin Quarles' comment, his family is in Lufkin now.

6 Comments:

Blogger Woodlands Runner said...

The Choi family will be going to Dallas or Tulsa. We'll decide Thursday AM.

Good luck Jon, it must be frustrating to be in Bloomington tonight.

5:31 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Jon, my wife is in close contact with officials and they assured her that Houston would not be like New Orleans where they would not allow people back in. As soon as the weather passes, you will certainly be allowed back home. Now, whether you will have power and/or water is another story. Good luck. We're going to Dallas. Except Jan is staying at Hearthstone Assisted Living where she works.

7:24 PM  
Blogger Jessica, a Austin Runner AND triathlete said...

i am MORE THAN LIKELY going to san antonio where a lot of my friends live or Austin where my parents live. My brother lives in Huntsville and although I don't feel safe for him there, he is better off then me right now (i live in the galleria area of Houston). I will have email access:
stdjma14ATshsu.edu
if anyone needs it...with phones being shoddy right now that will be the best bet for me. i'm leaving EARRRRRRRRRLY friday morning and HOPE to be back Monday...everyone be safe!
-Jessica

7:45 PM  
Blogger equarles said...

all of you guys and girls stay safe. I'll be praying for all of you. Some of my students have been commenting on my personal blog about how things were in Angleton today. Interesting. I'm thankful we left Tuesday evening.all of you guys and girls stay safe. I'll be praying for all of you. Some of my students have been commenting on my personal blog about how things were in Angleton today. Interesting. I'm thankful we left Tuesday evening.

8:04 PM  
Blogger equarles said...

oops...personal blog is equarles.blogspot.com if you're interested in checking out their comments.

8:05 PM  
Blogger Tiggs said...

took us 15 hours but we made it to lake travis. i can't even describe how miserable it was getting there.

6:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home