Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Monday, October 17, 2005

Houston Running Bloggers Racing Results

Huntsville Half Marathon (Saturday, October 15th)
Edwin Quarles 1:40:02 4th in 35-39 age group
Jon Walk 2:20:50

Beat the Heat 5K, Jersey Village (Saturday, October 15th)
Sam Rodriguez 17:21 1st Overall

Koala's Health and Wellness Centers/Luke's Locker 20K (Sunday, October 16th)

RELAY
The Blogstas - Cassie Cowan and Sarah Graybeal - 2:12:48.3 - 10th in Women's Open
S&J Inc. - Jessica Alexander and Stacie Pyle - 2:17:19.5 - 14th in Women's Open
(Special note: Jessica's 58:13.4 10K was the 4th best women's open 10K on the back half)

OPEN
Steve Bezner 1:50:54.2 (Negative splits - 56:58.6 then 53:55.6)
Holden Choi 2:09:20.3
Jennifer Kim 2:22:36.6 (Negative splits - 1:12:16.0 then 1:10:20.6)

SUPPORT
Vic Kaiser - Signholder (<---Finish Line/2nd Loop--->)
Lisa Leese - Water Stop
Vic's son and daughter/Waverly Walk - Water/Pepsi Station Support
(Special note: I know their names and got to meet them today. Vic keeps their names off of his blog, which I initially goofed and changed here. Seemed like Waverly and her hit it off quite a bit!)

Me? -- Moral support to runners at the finish and on the course. I also watched Luis Armenteros and Rudy Rocha the entire race from the back of an HPD cruiser. Never got to use my pipes all morning long. (And no, Sarah, I didn't get into trouble! Plus it was NOT comfortable back there!)

(By the way, Ms. Cassie, is this more like it?)

4 Comments:

Blogger Steve Bezner said...

Thanks for the moral support Jon! I must say it gave me a vote of confidence when my name was being called from the pace car (especially, with the runners around me).

I thought the guy holding the sign at the finish line looked familar. Thanks Vic. WTG!

And thanks for the official results. I'm happy with today's race although my legs are pretty sore. I'm just glad the Astros are on so that I have somthinjg to watch. Not to mention my wife went to go get PIZZA!

Thanks Again!

4:07 PM  
Blogger Tiggs said...

yes!! yay! woohoo!!
much more like it Jon *wink wink*

It was awesome seeing you in the pace car!! As someone who's been in the back of a cruiser MANY times (my dad's people, not going to jail!), I know it's not comfortable, but MAN! What a sweet gig!!!!

This was the first time I've ever been to the 20k and the whole thing was really great! Striders are awesome managers!!

Also, that was a kick *ss time on yesterdays Huntsville Half. Nice work!

5:06 PM  
Blogger Jessica, a Austin Runner AND triathlete said...

Thanks for the support, Jon! It made my morning to see ya, especially cheering at the finish!

And way to go with Huntsville's race-that is NOT an easy course! Maybe I will run it with you next year!

-Jessica

7:07 PM  
Blogger WalkSports.com said...

Lance,

It wasn't my voice, but I was giving Doug Spence the names of either people that I knew ... or could put the bib number to a list that I had.

And yes, I saw you trying to will Steve to go even faster just before the finish line too! (Yes, I was all over the place.)

What's never been done at a Houston race that I've been to is a finish line electronic mat that when the chip passes over ... it flashes the name on the computer so a public address announcer at the finish line can call the runner's name out.

I first saw it done last year at the Little Rock Marathon (I did the half).

Jon

7:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home