Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Motive Bison Stampede Prize Money!

Not that I'm going to win any of it this Sunday in Austin, but an interesting concept has been put into play by the organizers of the half marathon that is part of the Austin Distance Challenge. Here are two paragraphs from their e-mail blast:

"Hello runners! Yes it's true! The 2005 Motive Bison Stampede is excited to announce the TruWest Elite Challenge, which will pit American Kyle O'Brien against Kenyans Benson Osoro and Nicodemus Malakwen. These elite distance runners and Olympic hopefuls will take on the "Hills of Motive" to compete for a $500 cash prize which goes to the runner who breaks the existing course records of 1:08:40 set by Gilbert Tohabonye and 1:18:18 by Lori Stich-Zimmerman. See press release."

"Also for the first time, the Bison Stampede will feature the “King & Queen of the Hills” Award, a $100 cash premium open to every runner in the race. You know the hills we're talking about ... that one-mile long series on Rain Creek Parkway at approximately mile 4.5 of the course. RunFAR Racing Services will place a chip-timing mat at the base and the top of the series to clock every runner’s uphill split and the male and female runner with the fastest time will win a trophy and the cash bonus. Last but not least, the Team-in-Triaining Cheer Squad will be at the top to help you push through the line! We can't wait to see how this impacts race strategy!" (Bill Dwyer? Is that you? Ha! Ha! -- JW)

I wanted to do this tough half last year, but I'm not certain why I didn't go over and tackle it. I'll have to see how it measures up against the Huntsville Half Marathon. If anybody else is interested in going over, let me know! Online registration closes tonight!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

no...it's not me cheering. it's a group led by Lisa Owens in Austin....they have a lot of energy.

I'm working on how to slip away from our Saturday training every now and then to get number 19, 20 and more at the RTW 5K.

7:08 AM  
Blogger Jessica, a Austin Runner AND triathlete said...

is this ADC a new thing? i have never heard about it til now (and my parents live right near Austin so I try to keep my ear on the local running scene).
-jessica

10:38 AM  
Blogger WalkSports.com said...

Jessica,

I'm not sure how long the Austin Distance Challenge has been in place, but it is VERY popular.

You have to use the same timing chip in all of the races.

It could be done in Houston with the HARRA Fall Series as well.

Jon

10:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home