Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Friday, December 16, 2005

Houston Marathon Weather

After making it home, being here in the "home" office, trying to get out the door to head to the gym and cleaning out some e-mail boxes, I thought I would share a recap of the Houston Marathon weather the past 12 years from the Striders' Steve Shepard. (Steve was responding to Strider Aimee Solway's e-mail about trying to convince her sister to come run the Houston Marathon instead of doing one in San Diego the same day under what, of course, should be pristine conditions.)

Here was Steve's response:

She should be concerned about the volatility of Houston marathon weather, although it's been very good to excellent the last five years running (and sucked 5 years previous to that).

1994 - warm and humid
1995 - perfect!
1996 - 59 at the start with so much fog the TV helicopters couldn't get off the ground
1997 - the famous sleet bowl - 32 degrees all the way with sleet; this is the one everybody remembers
1998 - ugly yet again, very warm and humid
1999 - same as 1998; the crappy weather was getting old
2000 - more of the same; both my training partners bailed before half way
2001 - neutral weather, first decent Houston marathon since 1995
2002 - perfect!
2003 - perfect!
2004 - very nice, a little humid, no complaints
2005 - perfect!

For me, perfect for a marathon is crisp and clear, no humidity, high 30's to high 40's.

I only did the 4-mile run in 2003, but I remember it being cold enough that I had on sweatpants, a mock turtleneck covered by a XXL Houston Texans t-shirt ... oh, and a baseball cap! (I've said before. I was a sight to behold. I even had a stopwatch dangling around my neck ... who did I think I was? Bill Rodgers?)

I agree that 2005 was perfect. I ditched my "socks as gloves" in front of the school in mile 5 and wish I would have kept them on! I wore my Marine Corps Marathon race jacket the entire way as I remember, even at noon, the winds being pretty cold coming through downtown.

In 2004, I remember it being cold. I wore my The Half windshirt that I got in November of 2003, but on the mile 9-to-11 stretch (that I think will be a big mental challenge for Waverly this year), my feet were freezing as the wind blew across the tops of my Brooks Beast shoes.

1 Comments:

Blogger Steve Bezner said...

Thanks for the info. The weather is something that I've been worried about. It would be really tough for me to run in sub-30 degree weather. Add sleet and my thin blood couldn't take it.

I'm coming around to colder temperatures, the 30k was perfect afer about a mile! I could handle that weather!

6:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home