Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Sunday, January 22, 2006

A Rainy Sunday ... Leads to the Gym

I rarely tackle too many other subjects in this blog other than running, but today is an exception.

Yes! A good year for Pennsylvania football continues!

First, it was Penn State's 11-1 run and triple overtime win over Florida State in the Orange Bowl and now the Pittsburgh Steelers return to the Super Bowl for the first time since 1995 to attempt to win their 5th Super Bowl against, most likely, the Seattle Seahawks. (I would have loved to have seen Jim Zorn to Steve Largent in their hey dey in the Super Bowl!)

The Houston Texans will announce this week that former Houston St. Pius X (and Texas A&M) quarterback Gary Kubiak will be their new head coach. (That autographed A&M football from Kubiak's playing days I guess will go up in value now!) I had a chance to visit with Gary a couple of summers ago during a football clinic that he attended at St. Pius X on behalf of current athletic director and head football coach Robin Kirk. Class act, nice guy and he'll get the job done once they replace Charlie Casserly as the GM.

And finally it may be time to become a Baltimore Orioles baseball fan and it isn't because of Kris Benson. Needless to say that his wife Anna doesn't need the kind of help that Jeff Bagwell's first wife, Shaune Bagwell, did/does. She's still using Bagwell's last name and it hasn't helped her unless you call wearing a goldenpalace.com tattoo after an e-bay auction a worthy thing to aspire to.

OK, back to running! The plan once again was to get up early and run this morning before going to church on my Dad's birthday. But an early bed time (like before 8:30 p.m.) caused me to be back up from about midnight until 5 a.m. and it was back to bed.

After getting back from church, I was determined to watch the Steelers against the Denver Broncos. I did until the Steelers had the game in hand with a 24-10 lead when I headed off to Bally's in The Woodlands. I got there just before 4:30 p.m. and I hit the treadmill. The goal today was just some nice and steady miles. And that is what I got!

80 minutes at 5.0 mph (it seems faster than that) but the meter said 6.67 miles when I finished. The legs seemed a little dead, but I mentally fought through the will to go to the elliptical machine or the bike to get in the hour and 20 minutes.

I got on one of the treadmills that allowed me to read a couple of magazines. I have been taking some older sports magazines with me. Today, I took the October 30, 1978 edition of Sports Illustrated that covered the New York City Marathon and featured the winner(for the third straight time), Bill Rodgers, on the cover.

It was less about the race that year than the changes that had transpired since its start in 1970. In its third year of running through all five boroughs, 1978 was the first year that runners had the entire upper deck of the Verrazano Narrows Bridge to run on. It was also the first marathon for Norway's Grete Waitz, who had only run 20 kilometers prior to that race. (However, wearing bib #1173, she won in 2:32:30 setting a new women's world record -- by two minutes.)

Some other interesting facts found that 1,110 women had entered the 1978 race up from 88 in 1976. The article also revealed that runners only took three (3) ceremonial steps into the Bronx after crossing the Willis Avenue Bridge from Manhattan before spinning around a light pole and returning immediately to Manhattan. And the last paragraph read as follows:

"Waitz revealed her own sense of the marathon. "I don't know if I'll ever do one of these again," she said."

Well, of course, Waitz would win NYC eight of the next 10 years.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home