Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Saturday, January 28, 2006

Run The Woodlands 5K #146 Race Report

With 127 runners, a new all-time attendance record, I've spent a good bit of the day (after breakfast with Dave Smart, Holden Choi and Cassie Cowan at Denny's and Waverly's basketball game) putting together the official results for Run The Woodlands 5K #146.

It's 8:00 p.m. and I need to get to bed before getting up to drive over and run the 3M Half Marathon in Austin tomorrow morning. (Yes, I know. I can hear you calling me "Psycho!" already.) Before I do, though, congratulations to Team In Training - The Woodlands' Bill Dwyer and Woodlands Fit's Rich Cooper for spearheading an effort to smash RTW's all-time attendance mark of 90, which was set on August 11, 2001. (Gentleman: Thank you!)

The most comprehensive race writeup in Texas road racing can be found here: http://www.walksports.com/tx0128a.htm.

You'll see that Dave led the way for the Houston Running Bloggers and I officially stunk up the joint with a 29:45. (Just wasn't ready to turn the gears on the fast stuff today.) It was good to see Rick Cook, as he gets ready for the Rocky Raccoon 100 Miler next Saturday (and Sunday).

My time splits, which I'm looking at just before I enter them here, are as follows:

Mile 1 -- 9:09.29
Mile 2 -- 9:46.39 (18:55.68)
Mile 3 -- 9:56.09 (28:51.77)
Last .1 -- 53.58

Final -- 29:45.35

I'll update the Houston Running Bloggers RC club blog tomorrow with everyone's times, but Lisa PR'd at the Texas Med 5K and Edwin PR'd at Angleton's Spectacle Spectacular 10K.

One funny story, though, before I call it a night.

Rick performed the club's "Leave No Blogger Behind" duties as he met me - the last blogger today - at the entrance to the driveway of Barbara Bush Elementary. As we're running, one gentleman made a comment about seeing him again. Rick said that he had already finished and one runner, who I guess already had finished, said something to him like, "Hey, why didn't you pace me?" I told Rick, something to the effect of, "She should start a blog and join the club" and he jokingly said to me, "Yeah, $10 will buy you a pacer all year long!"

Jill (Boston), Joe (Breda) and Cassie, have great rides at the Frost Bike 50 tomorrow!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jon, it was your original idea to have the race within a race.

We had a great time today.

Thanks

8:30 PM  
Blogger David said...

A good report. Lots of fun Jon and you even held off the rain. It was great to see you and the rest of the bloggers who were able to attend.

9:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home