Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Thursday, April 20, 2006

What's Wrong With This Picture at the LP Run?

In all actuality, nothing. It was the first time that I participated in the 39th annual LP Run put on by the Terlingua Track Club at St. Thomas High School in Houston.

Fellow Houston Running Blogger Joe Carey, Houston Strider (from Humble and a "Houston Running" reader) Bill Cox and myself went 1-2-3 in the Clydesdale division.

And for being the near stationery objects that made it appear as if the likes of Luis Armenteros, Sam Rodriguez, Leno Rios and John Yoder were going even faster than what they really were, we got prizes!

Guess. (And please, please don't mistake me for being ungrateful.) A $20 gift certificate to Becks Prime!

But you give Clydesdale winners more food? :)

Long story short. Tonight is why I need to incorporate some speedwork into my routine other than just 5K races. Honestly, I've been hesitant of tearing up my knees from the pounding but that may simply be unfounded and a weak excuse.

Briefly, I was just shy of 13 laps. Bill finished just past 14 and I'm not sure how many Joe completed.

In most races, I don't get that close in the starting area to guys like Luis. I joked with Sam that the over/under of him passing me was seven (7) times. (I think he went over that, unfortunately.) I just didn't want to get lapped by Luis on the first one! (It happened in the back half of the second lap.) Therefore, I shot out as fast as a big guy could. John Yoder's sister told me after the race that she couldn't believe the time on the first lap. (Yeah, neither could I.) The clock showed 1:58. My watch captured 2-even.

Here are the lap splits:

Lap 1 -- 2:00.14 (2:00.14)
Lap 2 -- 2:15.26 (4:15.40)
Lap 3 -- 2:23.32 (6:38.72)
Lap 4 -- 2:30.24 (9:08.96) -- a 9-minute mile is a 27:54 5K.
Lap 5 -- 2:39.62 (11:48.58)
Lap 6 -- 2:40.88 (14:29.46)
Lap 7 -- 2:40.09 (17:09.55)
Lap 8 -- 2:43.29 (19:52.84) -- 9:08/10:44 ... yikes, not good!
Lap 9 -- 2:47.65 (22:40.49)
Lap 10 -- 2:49.79 (25:30.28)
Lap 11 -- 2:47.77 (28:18.05)
Lap 12 -- 2:43.16 (31:01.21) -- 9:08 / 10:44 / 11:10 ... even worse!
Lap 13 -- 2:19.56 (33:20.13) -- incomplete lap

A lot of the latter laps came with a quick 50-step break after passing the line where we started each lap. Even though the temperature (upper 70's) wasn't as unbearable as it was the night before at Tour de Bayou, I ran myself out in the first mile and my 5K time would have been way off the 29:33.2 that I did at the Resurrection Run 5K on Saturday.

Bottom line though is that I was out supporting a HARRA club (Terlingua), a HARRA Spring Series event and placed with two gentleman (Carey and Cox) that completed their requirements to receive the organization's Iron Foot Award.

Nice job to all!

3 Comments:

Blogger Jill said...

Congratulations - great prize!!

11:11 PM  
Blogger Tiggs said...

hey bill cox- my smart running buddy! awesome!

1:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good show! I guess we know who is buying next time we meet at Becks...

I know how you feel about your knees. My stride is not nearly as long as it should be because I have the same fears. Speedwork is good, but not great. Must overcome...

3:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home