Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Saturday, July 22, 2006

Off to Tennessee

These subjects are probably not the best to talk about in a running blog, but it's life and it isn't always roses.

I will be bypassing the Webster Bicycle Duathlon #3 in the morning to attend the funeral in Tullahoma, Tennessee of my wife's grandmother, Lillian Aleene Darden, who was 89 years of age.

My wife, Gena, and Waverly began making plans to drive on Thursday as they knew that there were some issues that weren't getting better. They were going to fly. While having some mixed signals during the day on Thursday, they thought that they might be able to get there, see her and with driving, not be encumbered by an airline schedule to get back.

But before they were able to leave Friday morning however, they received a phone call that she had passed on. The two of them got to Tullahoma Friday evening and I wasn't sure that I was even going to be able to go because all of my clothes that one would wear at a funeral are in Vancouver (when I left the apartment I hadn't received the news yet) -and- I didn't see any Sunday evening flights home available.

However, I found a suit that hadn't come out of the cleaning bag since the summer of 2004 that fit and I was able to work the flights out OK. My biggest concern is that I have no idea how Waverly is going to handle things. She's been to a viewing before, but it wasn't anybody she was too close to. But the funeral service is something that is going to be new for her as well.

Please keep all of them in your prayers and thanks for allowing me to share.

Below is my wife's grandmother's obituary notice:

Mrs. Lillian Aleene Darden
April 24, 1917 - July 21, 2006

Funeral services for Lillian Aleene Darden, age 89 of Normandy will be conducted Sunday, July 23, 2006 at 2:00 PM from the Chapel of Tullahoma Funeral Home with Brother Jack Hice officiating. Burial will follow at Rose Hill Memorial Gardens.
---
Mrs. Darden died Friday, July 21, 2006 at Harton Regional Medical Center after a brief illness. She was born April 24, 1917 in Bedford County, TN the daughter of the late Clinton Daniel and Madie Lee Porsser Daniel. She was a homemaker and a member of the protestant faith. In addition to her parents, she is preceded in death by her husband, Woodrow Darden, a granddaughter, Renae Darden and brothers and sisters, Ralph, Junior, Louise and Pauline.
---
Survivors include six children, Jerry (Gail) Darden of Tullahoma, Martha (Bob) Brasier of also of Tullahoma, Robert (Juanita) Darden of Normandy, Patsy (Leonard) Broadrick of Houston, TX, Benny Darden of Normandy and Myra Watson of Lynchburg, TN; seven grandchildren, Julie, Janie, Gena, Jason, Daniel, Robin, and Amy; a great-granddaughter, Waverly and many nieces, nephews and loving friends. Also surviving is a sister, Christine Hunt of Tullahoma, TN.
---
The family will receive friends Saturday from 5:00-9:00 PM at the funeral home.

9 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

My deepest sympathies and prayers are with you and your family. I'm sorry for your loss.

Waverly will be fine. My wife's brother was killed a few months ago and our kids of course had questions and went through a lot o emotions. But, we got through it together and looking back, it was something that somehow drew us all closer. Don' worry. You'll find the right things to say.

6:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jon,
Sorry to hear about your loss. I have kin in Tullahoma and we went up there in June. Not sure how much of that area of Tennessee Waverly has seen, but the drive from Tullahoma to Lynchburg is quite beautiful.


doug

8:48 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

So sorry to hear about your loss. Jill and I wondered where you were this morning, but some things are definitely more important than racing.

9:05 AM  
Blogger Crosstrain said...

Our sympathies to you and your family.

12:53 PM  
Blogger David said...

My sympathies- we decided to take our son Nic (10 yrs) to a recent funeral for a friend who's daughter died; I think the low points in life can become positive life experiences if shared with family & friends. Take Care.

5:47 PM  
Blogger equarles said...

I'm praying.

10:00 PM  
Blogger Donna said...

I'm so sorry to hear that. Give Waverly and extra hug tonight . . . .

10:00 PM  
Blogger Tiggs said...

Jon,
Sorry to hear of the loss. Take care and safe travels...

3:45 PM  
Blogger TX Runner Mom said...

Jon, so sorry to read about your loss. You and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers.

7:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home