Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Friday, October 27, 2006

Seven Hills Running Club Meeting Thursday Night

The turnout this past Thursday night wasn't as large as the last Seven Hills Running Club meeting, but the company was just as nice and positive. I was fortunate enough - with Waverly, of course - to be in town to be able to make the post-Half Marathon club meeting.

It was threatened throughout the week to make sure that you showed up so that you weren't voted in as an officer in abstentia. For that reason alone, I made sure that I was there. Rick Cook and his son, Cooper, couldn't be there as the youngster wasn't feeling well.

There were a couple of folks who I didn't catch their names. (The couple in the corner to Ken's left and the young lady sitting to the right of Lindsey.) However, I think the roll call was something like this:

+ Ken Johnson and his wife, Marilyn
+ Waverly and myself
+ Christopher Wilson and his wife (Chris is on the cover of this month's Inside Texas Running)
+ Hans Jaeger and his wife
+ True Cousins and his wife, Esther
+ Glenn Carter
+ Marisa Padilla (a fellow Spring High School graduate)
+ Lindsey Boller (a Spring resident now with her husband, Joey)
+ Juan Melchor (at the end of the table)
+ J.C. Guzman
+ Niki Swearingen (who took over for Lindsey as Vice-President)
+ Ben Johnson, Ken's son
+ Eric Pittman, Ken's son-in-law, and his daughter and grandson
+ John, Kathy and Colleen Cook

Ken pointed out that the entries for the Huntsville Half Marathon/5K were up by about 20-to-30. He indicated that the club pays its expenses, retains a $500 management fee and then gives all of the monies to two local charities and he said that he thought that it would come in somewhere over $3,000. (This isn't any secret information as it will be in the club's newsletter, "Hill Peek", in November.)

He recognized the committee chairpersons - Kathy, Lindsey and Christopher - for their efforts on Saturday and they really all did a heck of a job. Kathy is really the star of the show, though. She was there before 6 a.m. training the volunteers on how to handle everything and then was also responsible for the start/finish area. I mean it was even a pleasure to see Hans on the course, waving a flag and directing traffic (but I'd rather have seen Melissa four times instead of Hans)!

I think that is what I like about Seven Hills. Ken treats everyone the same and I haven't found an ego yet. I joined the club at the start of 2005 because Ken kept inviting me to come up and run the trails with them. I figured at $7 that the least that I could do was support the club in what they were doing ... in return, I have a ton of friends.

Even though I was on the losing end of some friendly competition back in August at Run The Woodlands 5K, I was thankful that I had a very small part in facilitating one of the club's largest turnout in its history.

The funniest moment, though, of the whole evening is that our waitress at the Junction Restaraunt was a young lady named Candis Smith and a collection was taken up - not out of her tip, of course - to pay for her to become a 7HRC member that evening after winning her 20-24 age group in the 5K on Saturday.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home