Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Friday, October 20, 2006

Working With The Houston Marathon

Call it a collaborative effort, I guess you can say.

The Chevron Houston Marathon is desirous to beef up its statistical information and to get their media guide closer to what the Chicago and New York Marathons have.

I've already done the research and have provided the Marathon with the following data, with just a little assistance from Jack Lippincott and Tom McBrayer:

+ Race day temperatures
+ Winning bib numbers
+ Margin of victory
+ Wheelchair winners

Yesterday, I passed along to them after having a great conversation with Jan Nierling the 1.) Event Record Progression for both the Marathon and Half Marathon and 2.) the all-time winners for both the Half Marathon and the 5K/4-Mile event.

We're only missing the 1998 5K women's winner and any Master's winners beyond 2000 for the 5K. (The 5K started and was first one - on the men's side - by Austin's Steve Sisson.)

I've agreed to provide the Marathon with 1.) a list of the top 100 times for both the men and the women (this is almost complete with the assistance of the Association of Road Racing Statisticians) and 2.) the top 10 from each year for both the men and the women (something that is easy to come by, but just takes a little time to compile.)

This is the kind of stuff that makes me happy!

HARRA gives me the opportunity to do this through editing Footprints - and coordinating its coverage. I'm pretty proud of the first two editions that have been put together and I should be seeing the third edition pretty soon.

I have had great help so far from Sarah, Edwin and Jessica as well as some great people that provide unique club reports and pictures. I've gotten some clubs engaged in the process - namely the Houston Harriers and Finish Line Sports - that haven't been in awhile. Clear Lake Fitness Club will have their club report in coming up in November.

There's just a lot of other crap that I'd rather not have to deal with and quite frankly, those are some things that I'm slowly weaning myself away from.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home