Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Thursday, February 01, 2007

February 3-4 Weekend!

Because changing the back end of a ticket is almost as bad as changing the whole thing, I'll be flying home, as originally planned, this weekend. (It is cheaper to fly home and fly back into Seattle for next week.)

However, I won't be racing, but I will be getting in some miles! (Had I stayed here, I would have done a half marathon down in Olympia, Washington.)

I'll be heading straight to Huntsville State Park to begin running with Rick Cook at mile 60 in his attempt to complete the Rocky Raccoon 100-Miler - and by doing so earning the Texas Trilogy Award for finishing the Sunmart 50-Miler, the Bandera 100K and RR100!

As many of you know, Rick and I have become good friends over the past year. Not sure how it happened or why ... but it just did! He's as crazy about ultra running as I am about statistics!

We ran much of the Texas Marathon in Kingwood together on New Year's Day of 2006.

But we probably ran much of the then hp Houston Marathon as well in January 2005.

I knew, before I got a chance to meet Sarah Graybeal in 2005, that she had run the marathon because I kept hearing people saying, "Go Sarah!" Why? Because she had this big piece of masking tape across her chest with the words on it.

Later that spring, we actually turned up in the same picture during the Conoco Phillips Rodeo Run of '05 -- click here! (I'm bib number 118 and Sarah is 807.)

But check out this picture -- click here (Rick in the middle and me cutoff to the right) -- and see by going back to his group pictures (#3512 Photos) to see that Rick and I crossed the finish line within a second of one another!

I was there when Rick started the Rocky Raccoon 100 Miler last year.

I hope that I'm able to say that I'll be there on Sunday morning when he finishes!

1 Comments:

Blogger Sarah said...

Man, the 2005 marathon was a good one for running with future friends... :)

11:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home