Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Saturday, July 14, 2007

Liberty Days 5K Race Report from Roaring Spring, Pa.

Even though I think the course could possibly have been a tad bit short (but not by much), Waverly got back under 38 minutes today at the Liberty Days 5K in Roaring Spring, Pa.

With Dad pacing (yes, I flew here last night - you just don't know when your grandparents are 84 and 82 - and will run the Presque Isle Half Marathon in Erie, Pa. tomorrow for state No. 18 before flying back to Houston on Monday morning), here were Waverly's splits:

Mile 1 -- 12:31.73
Mile 2 -- 11:27.22
Mile 3 -- 12:49.31
Last .1 -- 48.84

Total -- 37:37.10

I just read a race report from this race from 2002 and it seems like the markings were the same from the course description, but this just really seeems to be off.

A 12-minute per mile pace, which is what she was on through mile 2, would be 1:12 in the last .1 mile. I think that the start line, though, could have started farther back and the finish line had ended sooner. Who ever knows for sure though?

The bottom line, though, is that Waverly had an excellent effort on a slightly difficult course, which included a little uphill that was returned to her all in mile 2. I would equate it to her performance at Brenham's Blue Bell Fun Run 5K last April (which was 37:22.9 on a slightly more difficult course.)

I was most proud of her because she ran the entire way with the exception to get water and as she developed a side stitch in the last .4 miles.

The most cool thing, of course, though is that she got to have her picture taken with 2004 U.S. Olympic Trialist in the marathon, Brian Sell, before the race.

During the race, as she was at about 2.5 miles, Brian was coming in for the last half mile of the 5-mile and he was taking it easy. He visibly acknowledged her and then while back out on the course shortly thereafter, he told her, "Good job." That's class, but consider where he's from. (Close to where I'm from. Ha!)

He later told my Dad and my Mom while they were talking with Brian and his wife that he saw Waverly on the course. Then the two of us got a picture with them. Waverly forgot to get her 2007 Chevron Houston Marathon program autographed. Hopefully he'll be back in Houston in '08, but I didn't get a chance to ask. As you can imagine, he was getting pulled in a lot of different directions.

How many 12-year-olds get to say that they've either talked to or run with two recent U.S. Olympic Marathon trailists? Not many. And it is a day like today that are memorable times as I watch her grow into a determined young lady.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home