Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Sunday, August 26, 2007

Weekend In Review: 5-Miler, Pub Crawl and Triathlon

I had sandbagged things during the week after last weekend's News and Sentinel Half Marathon in Parkersburg, West Virginia. I found a Bally's a few blocks from the hotel in Pasadena and got in an hour on the stationery bike on Wednesday and then an hour on the elliptical plus another 20-plus minutes on the bike late Thursday night.

After working on the Tri One O One story on Friday, and finishing my column for the Conroe Courier (which ran today) at about 3 a.m. Saturday morning, I was up by 6:30 a.m. and out the door by 7 a.m. to participate in the inaugural Oak Ridge 5-Miler at Oak Ridge High School.

I covered the 5-mile, triple-loop cross country course in 52:33.42 - not bad for a hot and humid morning. A good, low-key event put on by Jacob Mazone and Dennis Muehlstein. I had a good time and got to see Thomas McHale and his daughter, Liz, Vincent Attanucci and his son, Matt; Anne Gilmore-Smith and Robert Duncan from Seven Hills Running Club.

Liz, a senior at Oak Ridge and ranked 5th in her class, won the women's race. Robert and Vincent went 1-2 in the men's masters while Anne won the women's masters.

I went home, showered, and was going to try and swing by the very tail end of HARRA's Party In The Park, but I didn't make it. (HARRA has my support already while, because I write also weekly for the Conroe paper, I felt like I should support the local event and it was being done for all of the right reasons.)

However, I was on time for the 7th annual Bay Area Running Club Pub Crawl, which started at Carlos' Beer Garden in Webster. 9 bars. 6 miles. Four cities (Webster, Pasadena, El Lago and Seabrook). I wonder if we ran through Sarah's favorite city of Clear Lake Shores too?

Why did I make the drive once again? Good friends. Co-owner of On The Run Jay Lee, whose wife recently delivered their first child; BARC club report writer Veronica Hoge, almost 30-year-veteran of the Chevron Houston Marathon Wayne Rutledge and, of course, Joltin' Joe Carey.

We ran - safely, of course - across busy highways (NASA Road One), through the parking lots of numbers of strip centers, in a downpour or two, bought increasingly expensive soft drinks ($2.75 for a diet coke at the bar at the Clear Lake Hilton) and had a great time with a record 75 runners which included BARC, Clear Lake Fitness Club, Bay Area Fit, Clear Lake Fit and Team In Training. (Bill Dwyer made the drive down to surprise a friend of a co-worker who had just started running recently and had joined CLFC and their marathon training program.)

We had pizza at Boondoggles (I spelled it right the first time ... but I had to Google it to be sure) at the next-to-last stop before finishing at the Seabrook Beach Club.

Next year will be another singlet year (every other year). This year's theme was Hawaiian and Veronica said if I came I would get ... well, you know. And she was true to her words. Before we left Carlos' Beer Garden, I had a pink lei around my neck for the run. =)

So 11 miles for Saturday, altogether.

I happened to be up early this morning and had noticed yesterday that the 1st annual Stephanie Johnson Triathlon - a "mini-Sprint" - was taking place just down and off of FM 2920 west of my house. Who Stephanie Johnson is was shared during online registration:

Stephanie is a 38-year-old mother of three young children who is battling Stage 4 stomach cancer. The doctors say she's incurable. She refuses to believe them. She and her family are hosting this event to increase cancer research and to provide direct help to area families who are also in the fight. You can see Stephanie's story in streaming video here. All of the proceeds from the event went to cancer research and the support families who are currently fighting cancer.

As I walked out about four-tenths of a mile out the 2-mile run course, I talked to a gentleman with Paragon Pools, who identified himself as a sponsor. He said that they've taken out her stomach and esophagus, but ... still ... she competed today in her first-ever triathlon. It was certainly inspiring to see her come in off the bike and then come to the last part of the run course.

(I found a story in the Houston Chronicle from three weeks ago on Stephanie. It is very well worth the time to read it. It can be found here.)

I recognize far fewer people at triathlons, but the scorecard for today was as follows:

+ Saw, but didn't talk to Sam Luna or Mandy Heintz. Mandy won the women's division with a strong performance while Sam cheered the former LSU soccer star on and took pictures of his bride-to-be come next month.
+ Saw Jana Landry, but talked to Kevin - the other couple involved in On The Run. They were both working the bike transition areas as well as having sponsored the event.
+ Watched 65-year-old Chris Gause from Spring finish her run strong. This is just an incredible woman to see what she has done the last couple of years. And she got started by coming out to a number of Run The Woodlands 5Ks. When she saw me, she said, "Where's Waverly?" Of course, Dad was flattered by that comment to know how people respond to her.
+ Saw Andy Stewart of Finish Line Sports competing today.
+ Carol and Don Steele, who are coaches for Team In Training - The Woodlands.
+ Lynlee and Joe Linke, who are members of the Houston Striders.

I heard some names over the public address system that I've recognized such as Finish Line Sports members Dave Depinet and Mark Berman, who both finished towards the top of the men's division.

It was a great atmosphere and I'm glad that I took the time to go be a small part of it.

5 Comments:

Blogger Sarah said...

Luckily you didn't pass through Clear Lake Shores (it's on the other side of the lake) -- they might have said 6 mph was too fast!

I did my Bay Area Fit run and then totally crashed. Next year I really am going to have to do the pub crawl. Part of the problem this year was that Jose couldn't cover the distance. I'll get him trained up for next year!!

8:23 PM  
Blogger K said...

Jon,
I wish I had known about that Triathlon before. What an inspiring story. I'll be sure to keep a look out for it next year!

8:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for coming down for the Pub Crawl. It was great to see you as usual.

We were missing an SUV load (including my hubby) in that first photo, and a few people showed up even later, so I believe we had over 80 people. Amazing.

I noticed the HARRA list was update last night! :)

8:20 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I saw the Chronicle article about Stephanie Johnson. What an inspiration. The tri sounds great...maybe next year!

11:44 AM  
Blogger ss_luna said...

Jon, Mandy and I look foward to meeting you at one of the runs, maybe you can make it down to our wedding day run, http://www.evite.com/app/publicUrl/ss_luna@yahoo.com/samandmandy

Continued success with your running.
Sam

3:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home