Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Saturday, September 01, 2007

Saturday, September 1 - The Blahs

Well, well, I get to type this a second time!

After trying to get to bed earlier on Friday evening (around 10 p.m.), I was back up at 10:45 a.m. and didn't get real tired until about 1 a.m. Saturday morning. (Must have been the sleeping on the plane from Los Angeles in first class.) Therefore, I didn't have the great mental attitude necessary to make the drive down to Alvin for the Beneezy Purple Monkey 10K/5K.

I had been politely reminded on Friday that the event ran out of water in the second loop last year and I didn't want to go through that drama again, but really I was just tired. I knew I would miss seeing fellow TWRC member Vincent Attanucci and one of his sons, probably Matt. I hope Vincent had a great race before later celebrating Penn State's 59-0 drubbing of Florida International at home. (Hopefully, the Nittany Lions don't get caught being too optimistic going into next week's affair with Notre Dame.)

Waverly and I had a late breakfast and I finally made it to the gym - my focusing point - at around 4 p.m. where I posted an hour on the elliptical trainer and 45 minutes on the stationery bike.

We're getting up in the morning to drive to West, which is 12 miles north of Waco, for the West Fest 5000. We're both going to run and I won't be pacing her. She's done fairly well compared to past years at this same time, plus she has spent the last week practicing volleyball as she's been trying out for her school's 7th grade teams.

I hope she makes it. She made the first cut, which took the numbers to 33 girls (for 22 spots -- 11 each on the 'A' and 'B' team.) But there is some realization that the girls in the athletic period aren't getting cut - or only one of them has. I told her to just go and continue to lay it on the line and let things fall where they may. And if she doesn't make, she'll know that she gave up the athletic period so she could continue to take the advanced level Language Arts class.

After we run, we plan to head back to Waco for breakfast and then we're taking our bike to the roads near the Lake Waco Trails, thanks to a reference from the Waco Bicycle Club. We'll see how far - or long - we can ride while having some different fun before heading back to Spring.

When we get back, I'm planning on getting to Bally's in Humble to get a little pool time before Monday morning's 2nd annual The Woodlands Adventure Race. My focus is going to be having fun with a great friend in Bill Dwyer.

My "Talking The Talk" column for the October issue of Runner Triathlete News is ready to go with a couple of more in the pipeline ready to write. I had a really good story last December and I haven't seem to be able to have recovered from that since. The October column is personal and perhaps that what made it a little bit easy to write.

Trying to get HARRA's Footprints together for October as well and that may be my last issue. I've put the word out with many of the club report writers that I'd like to transition from that responsibility.

This is the first post of blogging in silence, so to speak, and it is a lot better. I can really write what I feel. (I realize that it may be possible to back door the blog ... so be it.) I've never needed the audience. I'm just amazed at how much attention I draw when I decide to swim upstream against conventional thinking. I've not been one that has rolled over real easy.

Instead I'll just step aside and let others step in and do what they think is necessary. I've been thankful to have lots of other opportunities - and headaches are not what is needed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home