Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Wednesday, March 05, 2008

TIR 2009: Texas Tough Throwdown Part II

The Texas Independence Relay is like your first marathon (well, it was just shy of eight, actually) in that as soon as it is over you said, "There's no way that I'll do this again".

Only to begin asking yourself the next day, "What about next year?"

My proposal is simple: The Road Warriors have two teams and the Bloggers have two teams.
Bill will be able to plug Kim Hager and Andrew Perry back in to the equation - preferably NOT on the same team. And I'd expect Rick Cook to possibly join the fray as well running with Bill although I'd offer up whatever to have Rick run on our team since he was a Blogger first.

The Bloggers would certainly add James David Dykas, Barbara Boone, Jessica Alexander and Christy Gonzales, and Erin Foley if she didn't run on an Al Lawrence team, plus we'd have first dibs on any other Seven Hills Running Club members, which might include Robert Duncan and Norman Langwell.

Thoughts? Did the sun get to my head too much on Sunday?

March 5, 2008 Update: Bill said that there was discussion at the track last night that he would lead a Texian Road Warriors run team and that Kim Hager might lead a Texian Road Warriors tri team.

Which got me thinking. Perhaps Joe Carey could captain a team of Blogger Girls that included Adrienne, Katy, Sarah, Barbara, Jessica, Karen, Cassie, Christy, maybe Erin or El Presidente herself, Anna Helm, and add some BARC women to the mix such as Veronica Hoge, Michelle Meyer, Leeanne Voorhies and possibly Vera Balic. And the driver of one of the vans could be Mrs. Texas since Joe already knows her. :)

I guess the original Battling Bloggers of the Texas Republic team would include Edwin, Tommy, his son, Jakeb, Dave, Holden, Keith and then we'd have to do a little recruiting. I vote that we would pickup Norman Langwell, Curtis Barton and Robert Duncan from Seven Hills, if they were interested.

7 Comments:

Blogger Bill D said...

I don't know. I kind of like the line up of the amazing 12 we had this weekend to stay together. Lets see, Kim has a blog, Andrew doesn't...ok that's solved. Kim leads Blogger 2 and Andrew leads Texian 2. That could get very interesting.

8:13 PM  
Blogger Bill D said...

We talked at our track workout last night and it just might be the Run Van vs the Tri Van in the mix next year.

Kim & the Tri Van plus a few TBA

Bill & the Run Van plus a few TBA (really need Andrew now)

and a Throwdown with Blogger 1 and Red Bull 1.

8:41 AM  
Blogger equarles said...

Dang, Joe always gets the women.

3:57 PM  
Blogger WalkSports.com said...

It will keep him motivated to stay injury free.

4:00 PM  
Blogger Katy Lampson said...

Wait a minute...I don't want to change up my team. They're like family now! You can't do this to me! :)

I'm working on Ken - I think The Streaker has a nice ring to it!

6:40 PM  
Blogger David said...

Nothing like a little advance planning....When is TIR 2009?

Hopefully the Lukes worker bees won't have to enter a lottery to be able to run in 2009....

7:36 PM  
Blogger K said...

I agree with Katy... I love our team the way it is! And I think we should petition Luke's to close that weekend, or at least only have Andrew work. Maybe we could get Kim hired there too??? (just kidding!)

7:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home