Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Friday, April 18, 2008

Rock Solid Run Solid Stampede 5K Race Report

First of at least four races this week is in the record books!

The 2nd annual Trinity Valley School Rock Solid Run Solid Stampede 5K is a pretty good event. They have a 1-mile event that starts at 6:30 p.m. and the 5K follows at 7:00 p.m. (The 5K started a little late - no more than 5 minutes - and really wasn't annoying whatsoever.)

The Trinity Valley School is a member of the Southwest Preparatory Conference (SPC) -- the same league that The Woodlands John Cooper School plays in. (Before I got involved in the running community, I used to cover Texas private and parochial high school athletics from 1994 to 2001.) The school sits on property that gives some incredible views of south Fort Worth (and just north of the community of Benbrook).

The run was a very hilly one. I mapped the course using MapMyRun.com and can be viewed here. The toughest 5K course that I have ever run is the King of Jester 5K in Austin (and I don't believe that it is held anymore.) Nonetheless, this would take a top five in my book.

You get a downhill that drops about 20 feet (758 to 739), but at the half way point for mile 1 you've climbed to 777 feet (according to the map).

You return all the way to 720 feet (above sea level) before you get to the 1.25-mile point, but begin another uphill that takes you back to about 758. You go down and back up twice before hitting the mile 2 marker. After the mile 2 marker, you smooth out a little bit before the turnaround and then you get a gentle downhill until a sharp uphill at the 2.5-mile mark. Then it is back downhill to the lowest point at 717 feet and then the 50 feet climb in two-tenths of a mile - before finishing down the stretch.

MapMyRun.com calls the course 3.16 miles, but I think that it was right on the road at 3.1 miles.

My splits were like this:

Difference -- 10.48
Mile 1 -- 9:23.18
Mile 2 -- 10:08.91
Mile 3 -- 10:33.54
Last .1 -- 56.19 (31:01.42)

I went into oxygen debt a little bit during the race, took a couple of short, quick blows, but otherwise feel like I did pretty good. I know 31 minutes isn't a really good 5K time, but this was a tough course. I would say with the constant up-and-down that it is tougher than the Huntsville Half Marathon 5K course. And I would probably say that my recent fitness would have allowed me to go under 30 minutes on the same Resurrection Run 5K course - still far away from my low 28-minute 5K but I'll get back there.

In the first mile, there were a couple of 4th-to-6th grade boys that wanted to walk repeatedly but I think they kept running because I would consistently pass them (just running steady).

My legs feel pretty good. (Maybe 2 Tylenol before the race is helping with that a little bit.)

One of the post-race treats -- other than the pizza -- were strawberries (lots of them!) Yum! I know that I have four or five of them.

Plus when you grade this race, I drove about four hours to get here too. (Wait. That's normal for me though.)

I'm staying in Fort Worth for the evening and I will run the Zoo Zoo Run 10K in the morning.

Here's what I did at that race last year (and it was very humid):

Mile 1 -- 9:53.63
Mile 2 -- 10:24.45 (20:18.08)
Mile 3 -- 10:08.63 (30:26.71)
Mile 4 -- 10:05.75 (40:32.46)
Mile 5 -- 10:33.52 (51:05.98)
Mile 6 -- 10:11.90 (1:01:18.88)
Last .2 -- 1:58.40

Overall -- 1:03:16.28
Official Chip -- 1:03:14.5

We'll see how it goes. This is just like the Montgomery County Triple, but a little longer on one race (plus I'm throwing in at least an additional one tomorrow).

1 Comments:

Blogger Katy Lampson said...

good luck tomorrow. you're definitely crazier!

got your message today, and i passed it on. Let's keep our fingers crossed!

great job on the hills!!

7:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home