Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Wednesday Night Treadmill / General Musings

An hour on the treadmill at Bally's in The Woodlands this evening at about 8:15 p.m. I upped the pace .3 mph from what I had it on yesterday. Felt pretty good. 2-for-2 in April.

(Magazine of choice this evening? Baseball America. I looked at this week's edition of the Economist at Barnes and Noble before hand; however, it appeared to be a little bit too heavy reading.) Some people chose to run with iPods in their ears. Me? I like to read.

Here's what going on in my world:

1.) Scheduling some time with my coach to go through a weight workout with me on the afternoon of Sunday, April 13. I need to start working on my arms and core.

2.) If any of you talk to somebody and something is mentioned about not having access to this blog, nobody is really being shut out. They just have to ask! :) June said in an e-mail after the Resurrection Run 5K about wishing that I had opened it back to all, and I just can't.

3.) Just saw the April edition of the Striders' Stridelines. John Yoder has taken over and is doing a heck of a job. (Besides, it is hard not to like a guy that goes to run a race in Pennsylvania.)

4.) Fellow FFOS Paige Krekeler - Tornado, big league cat lover, Ironman finisher ('06) - has won a teaching fellowship/scholarship to spend two weeks in Nova Scotia later this month. She was asking me some questions about helping to get the word out to generate some interest in science. When I checked the website of the school district that she works for and the news release they put together, I told her that there was a 5K in Halifax, Nova Scotia the weekend that she was there. Her e-mail today says that she's registered!

4a.) Great quote though: "I don’t expect a good time but I will have yet another shirt from an out of town race." -- Paige Krekeler

5.) I've been added to the distribution to the e-BARCer. (May have to try and make the next BARC meeting on Monday, April 14 as well as the Seven Hills RC meeting on Thursday, April 17.) Very well done.

6.) The Texian Road Warriors are registered again for the Texas Independence Relay. I had actually my registration in before Bill did today; however, for some reason, it didn't like my Visa card (it's paid) and the AMEX attempt wasn't any more successful. Jay Hilscher didn't see it come through on his end. Hmmmm.

7.) I'm working on Footprints for May/June '08 right now.

8.) I need to write my Runner Triathlete News column for May '08.

9.) I'm writing a piece on the Lone Star Triathlon for TWRC's April edition of Deer Tracks, depending on the response I get from people in the club. (Good club meeting on Sunday night. Oops ... I need to write the TWRC club report for Footprints. Glad I'm the editor.)

9a.) I wonder if anybody else will put in for it before the end of April's HARRA Board meeting.
9b.) You think anybody would vote for me? :)

10.) When the Chevron Houston Marathon did a refresh of its website, they had left off the page for the Local Invited Runners program. I e-mailed Director of Race Development Steven Karpas, and he assured me that they weren't discontinuing the program and that the page was just an omission.

11.) Question: Would you ride a charter bus with a group full of runners to an out-of-town 5K or 10K?

12.) I need to post the Montgomery County Triple information for the spring '08 races.

13.) Since our attempt to bring Bill Rodgers to The Woodlands to run in a Masters-only event took a turn for the south, Bill and I are working on something else that is pretty cool. We hope to be able to release some details soon, but it would be an event (not a race) that would take place the Saturday before the '09 Chevron Houston Marathon.

14.) TWRC's long run schedule for April is as follows:

- Sunday, April 6, 6:45 a.m., Starbucks-Pinecroft, 11 miles
- Sunday, April 13, 6:45 a.m., Brooklyn Bagel, 7 and 10 miles
- Sunday, April 20, 6:45 a.m., Starbucks-New Trails, 8.5 and 11.3 miles
- Sunday, April 27, 6:45 a.m., Starbucks-Jamba Juice Market Street, 6 and 10 miles

Contact JoAnn Blakeley at joann_blakeley@sbcglobal.net.

I think that's about it for a Wednesday. Lots going on, no doubt.

7 Comments:

Blogger Junie B said...

I COMPLETELY understand, having just made my blog private, why sometimes its just what a person has to do sometimes.

I am just glad to be back among the informed.

Oh and I hope you dont mind, but I let Sam in on your Resurrection Run post, cause it mentioned him and the OTR's up at the 10K.

8:32 AM  
Blogger Tiggs said...

of course I would ride a bus. I spent 40 hours in a VAN with 6 other people. LOL!

1:45 PM  
Blogger K said...

Don't forget, Cassie, it was a MINI van!! I would for a 10K, probably not for a 5K.

4:13 PM  
Blogger Crosstrain said...

Jon, I'd ride to the race but not back. Unless there are showers at the race (like at the Bolder Boulder). BARC meeting this month might be a little short (no guest speaker and a Board get together after).

6:37 PM  
Blogger El Oso Furioso said...

I'd consider jumping on a charter... maybe not for a 5k, though. But in all honesty I can count on 1 hand the number of organized runs that are longer than 5k that I've actually done.
That'll change soon, though.

4:57 AM  
Blogger Katy Lampson said...

I'd ride the bus. Brings back Junior high track team memories...

7:10 AM  
Blogger doug spence said...

Agree with the shower comment from above. Couple kegs might sway me away from that comment.

3:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home