Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Tuesday Stationery Bike

I had to get back to doing something. The pain in my right hip has begun to subside, but I know that it is coming from my back and hips being out of whack.

Therefore, I got an hour in on the stationery bike at Bally's just to loosen things up.

While I was there, I saw two people that I knew but they didn't see me and one was going out (The Woodlands Running Club member Thomas McHale - another Penn Stater) and the other coming in (Scott Haney, who attends the same church that I do) before I had a chance to say something to either one of them.

So what in the world is going on?

+ We have the David's Dream 5K in The Woodlands on Saturday - the last leg of the spring version of the Montgomery County Triple. (Last I heard, Bill is running it.)

+ Rick Cook is back home from doing over 50 miles on the course of the Western States 100-Mile Endurance Run on Saturday and Sunday. (When I talked to him late Sunday night, as he was getting ready to head to the Sacramento airport, he sounded great.)

+ Congratulations to Sarah for taking the Athena division at the Combat Triathlon in Texas City on Saturday. She rocked her closest competition by almost 9 minutes, burying her in T1 and the bike!

+ Diboll's Jeremy Webb, 26, grabbed second at the same event in his age group -- and 22nd overall. [Jeremy is Edwin's friend and maybe one of our future TIR teammates. Any status, Quarles?]

+ Did you know that Academy of Country Music New Male Vocalist of the Year winner Jack Ingram was a 1989 graduate of McCullough High School? The things you learn reading the Courier -- other than my column, of course. [And it will always be McCullough to me ... and not TWHS.]

+ At Sunday's CapTex Tri in Austin, The Woodlands' Claire Andrews, just 14, continues to kick butt and take names. She finished third overall in the Sprint division -- behind 17-year-old Clear Lake resident Jeannette Wacker. [Folks like Lance Armstrong were doing the same type of thing at their age. Right, Katy?] Wacker's father, Roger, 49, won the masters in fourth place overall -- one spot over The Woodlands' new arrival to town, Richard Mac Namee. Houston's Anne Ekern, who races about as much as our good friend, Lisa Tilton-McCarthy, took second in her age group.

+ At Bolder Boulder on Memorial Day, The Woodlands' Jim Braden, 72, was second in his "single" age group with a 10K time of 54:24.

+ Our own Joe Carey, aka "Gramps", was 44th in his 52-year-old single age group with a PR-setting time of 48:53. Joe's wife, Gerlinde, finished in 1:15:44.

+ Ms. Flicka, aka BARC beer wench Veronica Hoge, was 23rd in her Bolder Boulder debut with a time of 48:26 in the 38-year-old category. She was joined on the run by Gary Johnson and BARC president Carwyn Sharp.

+ HARRA At-Large Board Member Bruce Mansur, who I believe is still recovering from an injury, finished in 55:08.

+ Bill has come out with Deer Tracks (The Woodlands Running Club) for the month of May -- just in time (before the end of the month).

+ The Bay Area Running Club has just come out with their April edition of "Bay Area Running & Fitness" and it is their Texas Independence Relay newsletter. [I think you all need to go check out Joe's report! Pretty funny!]

+ Other good newsletters include Bayou City Road Runners (May), Houston Striders (May) and the Houston Masters Sports Association (May).

It's 10:30 p.m. on Tuesday night. I may update this later in the evening!

3 Comments:

Blogger Tiggs said...

Houston Running Blogger Cassie Mondragon set a new record on Sunday. She ate 8 cupcakes in one day. I hate to think what that might do to her running pace.

6:51 AM  
Blogger Katy Lampson said...

Just thought I'd let you know, I LOVE Jack Ingram. Impressed? I heard a new one today to add to my bad list. "She's a Hottie" - Toby Keith....

She's sittin' by the water where the river gets wide,
thinkin' 'bout swimming to the other side,
Got a "Malboro" red, and a can of cold "Bud"
toes squished down in the Arkansas mud,

Hey Mister! Yeah, I kissed her !
Son! You ought to see her sister!!!...
Ya' gotta give a little something to a cold dog cat,
finding him a woman who can shake like that,
HOTTIE ! She's a Hottie !!! Got a smokin' little body !
String bikini and a barbed-wire tat (tatoo)
She's a rockin' that cowboy hat !
HOTTIE ! She's a Hottie !!! and just a little bit naughty !
Ki yi diggy diggy, Ki yi diggy diggy, yey HEY hey hey HEY ....

7:11 PM  
Blogger WalkSports.com said...

Another convert. :)

I'm actually going to do a post soon, "If I Had an iPod" ... lol

8:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home