Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Saturday, September 20, 2008

Just A General Update

I'll see if I can get everyone caught up-to-date. I really apologize for not posting more frequently. Life, besides Hurricane Ike, has been a little busy.

1.) I ran for an hour at Bally's on Friday afternoon on the treadmill. (Waverly went with me and split time between the stationary bike and the elliptical machine.) I hadn't done anything during the week, but felt pretty good. Enough to drive on Saturday (well Friday night) to San Marcos to run a 10K.

2.) Spring ISD was out all of last week and Waverly will go back to school on Wednesday. It will be interesting to where they take the seven (7) days from out of the schedule. Thanksgiving week? Easter week? Who knows?

3.) I'm still on my regular routine to and from Jackson, Mississippi. I didn't make it to the office in Jackson on Monday until about 4:30 p.m., but still got a lot done. It was a good, productive week. The team ended up collecting just over $40 million last month - a new all-time record. It is amazing what gets done when you do things right and on-time.

4.) Wrote my Tuesday column for the Courier about my two runs last weekend - and the human spirit. I rarely write about my running, but I thought it might inspire a few people. I'll try to post it here later when I have my flash card in the computer.

5.) Bill was still without power as late as mid-day Saturday. However, he said that Nora and Lou Wilson ran Run The Woodlands 5K on Saturday morning. It was only the two of them -- and that is all you need for a race. Nora beat Lou, Bill said.

6.) I bought my airplane ticket for Midland/Odessa to fly out there Friday, October 3 and return on Sunday, October 5 for the first West Texas CrossRoads Marathon. I may not be completely (and traditionally) ready, but if I'm able to finish it will be marathon no. 20 for me.

7.) For those of you that are TWRC members, I did not produce an eDeerTracks on Friday.

8.) Part of the reason for no. 7 was a.) much of The Woodlands was still without power and b.) I was finishing up my Runner Triathlete News column and putting the finishing touches on Footprints.

I think this should do it until I think of some more things. :)

Hope that everyone has come through the storm relatively unscathed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home