Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Tuesday, October 07, 2008

A Letter From Out of the Blue

I don't do the things that I do to get communications like this, but they definitely make me smile. As you'll read, this is regarding work (like covering running and triathletes) that I did from 1994 to 2001 in covering Texas private and parochial high school athletics. -- Jon

Mr. Walk,

My name is Kenneth Bethune. In high school (1997-2001) I spent more time at your private sports website than doing my homework. Google made their 2001 index available in honor of their 10th birthday. The first thing I searched for was your WalkSports.com website. Forgive me for doing further research, but I was curious about what you were doing these days.

I just wanted to thank you. In a lot of ways your website made me really appreciate the value, of obscurity, of small school and more importantly private school sports. I attended St. Mary’s Hall, and participated in numerous SPC competitions. My former high school coach is now the AD the John Cooper School. After graduating from Schreiner University I moved to the DC Metro area, where I coached at a small orthodox Jewish day school. I am currently in law school in Oklahoma City (I have to say that private schools do not seem to be as present here, as they were in either Texas or DC). One of the career possibilities that looks more and more attractive as each day goes by is to get into Athletic Administration/Coaching at the TAPPS or SPC level, or some equivalent out of state. That interest started long ago, and was definitely fueled by your website.

I’ve always been a big fan of history, and your website had as much information about private school sports history as could be found then, or since. I understand the reasons you got out of the ‘game’ in the manner you did, and I appreciate them, but I think it was much more important that you did what you did. I played on more than a few mediocre sports teams in high school, but even then, I wish some of our outstanding players could have been memorialized. You did more than most could, and I always got lots of enjoyment from your work.

I hope all is well.

Kenneth Bethune

Kenneth N. Bethune
Juris Doctor Candidate, 2010
Oklahoma City University

1 Comments:

Blogger Tiggs said...

that is pretty cool jw :)

7:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home