Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Busy December 31st

Even though Waverly and I made it in from Pennsylvania last evening and slept in this morning (being on vacation), I still got a lot done today.

I met with Dana-Susan Crews and Lauren Arnold with the City of Conroe at Carl Barton, Jr. Park to talk about the course for the Bill Crews Remission Run 5K to be held there on Saturday, January 31, 2009. Please give this event your utmost consideration. (Friends of the Running Community will be the bib sponsor for this race. I'm planning on ordering 400 bib numbers.)

I worked a little bit of packet pickup - maybe two hours - with Ron and Karen Berglund today in Kingwood for tomorrow's 10th annual Texas Marathon. I haven't had the luxury of spending that much time with Ron and Karen and enjoyed working with them immensely. In about 9 hours, we'll be out there on the same course having a blast as we kick off the New Year running.

I stopped by my sister and brother-in-law's house to give a Penn State t-shirt to each of my nieces from my trip to see my grandparents in Pennsylvania the last few days.

I registered for the 3M Half Marathon - the price goes up from $64.99 tomorrow - on Sunday, January 25.

I received an e-mail from my good friend from the Philadelphia area, Rob Jones, stating that he is back running again and may be down for the Rocky Raccoon 50. (Its been 8 years since he's run a race down here. I really credit Rob for inspiring me to start this crazy adventure that I've been on.)

I will probably be going to Jackson, Mississippi on Friday - not for work - but to run the half on Saturday of the Mississippi Blues Marathon. Yes, I know. I'm crazy.

Nonetheless, Happy New Year!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home