Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Sunday, January 25, 2009

Blew Off Run The Woodlands ... and 3M!

When you don't feel like it, I guess the best thing to do is not to do them.

I had wavered all week about whether or not I was going to go over to Austin Saturday night and stay in a hotel before this morning's 3M Half Marathon. I couldn't find a Marriott property at a rate that I liked, nor that I wanted to use any of my points for.

Since I was going to make an early morning drive over, run the race and come back, Waverly is at Mom and Dad's house so she can go to church this morning.

However, I still didn't feel like going over. Not sure what it is. Not sure if it is the fact that maybe I'm a little bit burned out. Not sure if I think that I couldn't go over there and do well, especially after having run 2:12 twice and 2:15 in the last three years there.

I think the weather was going to be close to what I was liking, but it wasn't enough to get me to run. I had some extra motivation to go run it last year, but that wasn't going to be there this time around. But I don't think that was it as that dynamic has changed since a year ago.

Before and while Run The Woodlands 5K was going on (which I was going to run if Bill did), I rode 13.33 miles on Alden Bridge - 8.19 miles before the race and two loops of Alden Bridge (2.57 miles each) during. Thought I did a little more.

TWRC was represented at RTW yesterday by Lou and Nora Wilson, Vincent Attanucci and Randy Bradley. Mick Long and Rick Cook worked the race. Skip Moschell, who ran 3:08 at Houston, came up as the race was ending. John Slate, who lives in The Woodlands, and Ken Johnson from Seven Hills were there as well.

I waited for Ken at the 2.3-mile mark and rode with him the rest of the way in.

I then met Dana-Sue Crews and Bill Dwyer as we reviewed the site of Saturday's Bill Crews Remission Run 5K. Dana-Sue and I walked the almost 2 miles of the trail that we are going to run. The first 1.2 miles or so will be on grass around the softball and soccer fields of Carl Barton, Jr. Park. We need to go this way to thin the field out some before hitting the trails.

The trails are not all single-track, but in some places they are.

They'll be a little bit of a different challenge than Huntsville State Park. I'd say that there are more switchbacks, but the surface is firm, doesn't have as many tree roots as Huntsville and will be a completely different experience.

We're getting a ton of cooperation from the City of Conroe Parks and Recreation Department. They had volunteers from Caney Creek and Oak Ridge High Schools clearing the trail on Saturday morning and they look great.

I spent 2.5 hours completely measuring the course. We'll be a little bit over 5K but by no more than 100 or 200 feet. If you're coming to race it, wear trail shoes or not the pair that you just bought at your favorite running specialty store - especially if it rains a little bit.

We've got a great group of volunteers - which includes Buck and Kerri Snyder (registration) and Gena and Greg Alvarez (parking and volunteer control) - that we hope will provide a unique racing experience as we celebrate life and have a reminder that cancer - as Dana-Sue puts it - sucks.

Waverly, of course, will be singing the National Anthem.

If you haven't seen the video from New Year's Day, it is out on youtube.com. You just need to search on Waverly Walk or look for the profile, "walksports".

I'm hoping that Saturday will be a positive experience for her. She didn't make Region Choir yesterday after her audition. She and another girl (and a friend of hers) that their Choir Director expected would make it didn't. She was disappointed, as she should be. I'd be concerned if she wasn't. I told her that this one event certainly didn't define her and if that she gave it the best that she had, then that's all that I or her Mom could ask of her.

I told her that I'm proud of her no matter what, but especially so for attempting some things that many, many other young men and women will never do. That makes her a winner. Period.

I think I'll work through my sorrows of not being motivated of going to Austin this morning by getting a little bit more sleep and join Cassie and Manny doing the Frost Bike 45/55 in Cypress this morning. Have to represent against those Road Warriors that we now will be there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home