Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Tuesday, April 28, 2009

General Update Concerning My Dad

My Dad's surgery on Friday went "as well as it could have", according to his doctor. He was in surgical ICU until Monday morning. He went to a step-down room yesterday and then I received a call from my Mom this morning and reported that he is going home!

He has done well. He was up and sitting in a chair 3 to 4 times on both Saturday and Sunday and walked a little bit on Sunday with the aide of a walker.

Our pastor and associate pastor - at North Park Baptist Church - came to visit before the surgery as well as a number of business associates over the weekend. It is always good to see an outpouring of support, care and concern.

With the fusion that he had in his back, the doctor had told him last October that he'd need to be off work for up to six months with his travel (like I do). However, he has taken a job locally and is hoping to be in a position to go back to work in about six to eight weeks. The Marine in him will probably want to push that envelope.

He's gone 40-something years without ever missing a paycheck. Something that he has been incredibly thankful for - and something, of course, that I'm proud of him for. Before this recent job had come through, and with his business going down, he was at a point that they were starting to explore unemployment benefits and he had contacted the VA to see about being able to get his meds, as a Vet, through them. But God took care of everything.

Thank you for all of your prayers, thoughts and concerns for my Dad. I greatly appreciate each and every one of them.

1 Comments:

Blogger Adrienne Langelier, MA said...

Sounds like things are going along well. Prayers for continued healing.

10:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home