Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Sunday, January 02, 2005

Rockets Run 5K Report

I did the first leg of the Houston Pro Sports Team 5K Triple Crown today by completing the 3rd annual Houston Rockets Run. (The Texans' Running with the Bulls will most likely be on Draft Day weekend again in April while the Astros will have their Race for the Pennant again on Memorial Day.)

It was my 82nd career event, 38th 5K and second event of the new year. The certified course started on LaBranch in front of the Toyota Center and headed south to Holman. Two quick right-hand turns and we were heading back north on Austin. A right turn on to Bell, a right on Chenevert and a third right onto Leeland pointed you into the Tundra garage, through the lower level and up onto center court inside the arena.

The course was well-marked (no wrong turns this year ... even the Race Director joked about this). HPD and Bayou City Road Runners (BCRR) volunteers were at every intersection providing a safe, but open course. Two water stations, just after the mile markers, and Gatorade and water at the end of the court inside. Post-race party included music, pizza and a soft drink/water. T-shirt with the Rockets mascot, "Clutch", transforming into a runner was actually nice!

I saw fellow PIMsters Sophie Rydin (from my Fitness group) and David Kennedy (who was in Steve Shepard's group). Sophie finished a little behind me in 29:48. David had a good, solid run of 21:34. I also had a chance to meet one of Houston's top female runners, Suzy Seeley.

My run? It went OK. I felt like I ran better yesterday in Huntsville (on hills) with a 29:57 than I did today with a 29:34 on a completely flat course (except for the downhill through the Tundra garage). I went 9:30, 9:14 and then 10:13 (the last 1.1 yesterday).

Today? 9:06, 9:39 and then 10:49 (9:46/1:03 - the last 1.1 today).

With the wide street (LaBranch), I stayed to the far outside on the right (and didn't get in anyone's way), but started towards the front because I didn't want to have a big differential knowing that the result probably wasn't going to be recorded. Instead, I went out WAY too fast for me. I was thinking "crash and burn" towards the end of the run. I actually had two walking breaks (of 25-30 seconds) other than the water stop. Many 5Ks I never stop for water.

I need to do 9:40, 9:20 and 9:00 (which translates into 54 seconds the last .1) to have a shot at cracking 29 minutes. Another day though! Perhaps next Saturday at Run The Woodlands 5K #121.

But I'm developing some consistency. 10 of the last 14 5Ks (not counting the 2 I paced Waverly) have been sub-30 minutes. 13 of the 14 have been 30:18 or better. Where I've seen the bigger gains have been at the longer distances where I've developed stamina and some strength as opposed to the sheer speed.

Former HARRA president and BCRR's John Phillips explained to everyone before the race at the start line about how the awards would be handed out to the first 25 male and female finishers -- and to the first three males and females. When I crossed the finish line, it was a wide crossing at center court so I didn't see anyone that might have had a timing device and writing down bib numbers. [My thought is that I'd scan through Karen Thibodeaux's finish line pictures for times and runners in case there were any other Striders there.]

Could have been better, but I walked away learning something ... which can never hurt!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home