Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Saturday, February 26, 2005

This Past Week

Wow ... no, I haven't died. I've just been a bit busy with work, having to travel to Hartford, Connecticut on Wednesday night, and getting back late, late last night before getting snowed in up there.

What's going on?

1.) I'm behind in assisting Paula Robertson with the weekly "Love The Half" update; however, I may wait until after Cowtown this weekend to pick up everything from Freescale Austin two weeks ago. Lots of people should have hit the 5-event goal between the two weekends!
2.) I went and picked up my race packet on Wednesday for the ConocoPhillips Rodeo Run 10K on Saturday. (Am still trying to figure out if I'm going to be able to get somebody to pick up my chip to be able to do both the Run The Woodlands 5K and the Rodeo Run 10K.)
3.) Speaking of Run The Woodlands 5K series, what a great article on Thursday by Roberta MacInnis of the Houston Chronicle on that bi-weekly race series that is in its sixth year. What a tribute to a great guy in Don Drewniak!
4.) It looks as if HARRA president Steve Shepard will be featured the Sunday after next, March 6th, on the public affairs programming of Cox Radio stations, which include 93Q Country and 97.1 Country Legends, 106.9 The Point (80's rock) and Oldies 107.5 . I'll provide more information about that as the time comes.
5.) I'm working on documenting who this year completed the original Texas Marathon Challenge that Roger Soler of San Antonio put together back in 1999. That would be the San Antonio, White Rock, Houston, Austin and Fort Worth marathons!
6.) I'm also working on some calculations of the HARRA Runner of the Season stats from over the last five seasons.

My workouts suffered this week with the travel. Schedule has looked like this:

Monday: Rest.
Tuesday: 45 minutes hard on the elliptical trainer at the Bally's in The Woodlands, covering 4.53 miles at level 15 random.
Wednesday: 2.1 miles in the subdivision in 21:00.11, an even 10 minute/mile pace.
Thursday: Nothing. Travelled back from Hartford early to avoid the storm. Could have stayed over and worked out while waiting out the snow, but could have gotten stuck there this weekend too.
Friday: 60 minutes hard on the elliptical trainer at the Bally's in The Woodlands, covering 5.99 miles at level 15 random.

That should get things back up to speed a little bit! Have a great day!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home