Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Monday, February 14, 2005

Run The Woodlands 5K #123 Race Report

I finished in 28:58.52, which is my second straight 5K under 29 minutes now and was a course record for me at the Run The Woodlands series.

After a brief warm-up run of about a half of a mile, I really didn't feel like it was going to be my day at all. And, in fact, it turned out that I had some in the tank, but it wasn't anything like I felt the week before when I posted a 28:39 (but still not bad at 230!)

Couple of stats though (available because of the dilligence of Tom McDonough):

+ The 48 participants is the 26th race out of 123 that had 40 or more runners. (One of the regulars said that she thought the upshot in runners was from the results appearing in The Villager.)
+ The first three races in 2005 had 140 runners. This was 2 more than the first 10 races in the series from January-November 2000.
+ I joined the 20-race club and became only the 24th runner ever to do that. The following regulars added to their totals: Ann Leoni (70), Tom Pinney (57), Jeff Westergren (46), Debbie Tripp (37), Anne Westfall (34), Jon Freeman (31), Douglas Brandon (28), Kyle Horsting (22).

I started out fairly strong and knew that I was because I was ahead of Debbie Tripp for the first time in awhile. In a little bit of the downhill slope before the bridge at about three quarters of a mile, I passed another female runner, Trisha Blackburn from Pearland. My watch revealed 9:08.68.

Somewhere in mile 2, Trisha passed me, Mark Hedquist and a couple (Tara and Steve Wilson) and went on to finish in 28:30. I, in the meantime, ran through mile 2 in 9:28.41 (18:37.09 for 2 miles).

I did everything I could to push the pace a little bit, but I could feel myself not having all of the gas that I wanted. I passed Mark at some point and kept trying to push myself as I felt like I heard either him or Debbie on my heels. (Neither one of them would pass me.) But at about the 2.75-mile mark, I heard a pair of foot steps and they belonged to George Melder and his daughter, Tori. They started out slow and finished strong. When I talked to him afterwards, he had told me that he knew that I was running a fairly consistent pace and told his daughter to keep me in sight.

At some point on my watch, I could see the school zone speed limit sign (meaning that the turn into the school drive was coming up soon) and my watch revealed 26 minutes and change (which signalled that I might be able to get under 29 minutes again.) I pushed as much as I could. At the third "blue dot" (the marking on the course for the mile marker), I had a 9:29.11 mile.

I went hard as I could in the last .1 mile and covered that in 52.32 seconds. (52 seconds in a tenth of a mile is an 8:40 pace.) This was for a finish of 28:58.52!

I'll take it for my second best 5K ever!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home