Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Wednesday, February 09, 2005

Two Half Marathons in March!

My race schedule for the month of March became more complete today as I'm sending in a check for $30 for the Baylor Student Foundation's Bearathon (Half Marathon) on Saturday, March 5th in Waco.

I also registered online today for the Seabrook Lucky Trail Half Marathon on Sunday, March 20th.

All three of my PIM coaches (Lee, Saara and Megan) from this past fall (and fellow Houston Striders) did this event and had a blast! One of the newest Striders, Clarence Silva, who ran a 2:12:09 in his first half last month at the Aramco Half Marathon, will also be joining the bunch. [Clarence is still a little bit faster than me. He legged me out at the Striders Bear Creek 10K and was clearly stronger the Wednesday night before last in a group run. Even though I continue to make dramatic strides, I still have all kinds of people to shoot for in front of me. Therein, additional motivation!]

In the February edition of Stridelines, which won its first RRCA Southern Region award as early as 1987, other Striders running the event include: Barb Shepard, Carole Flad, Cindy Laidlaw, Laura Babcock, Megan Clark-Dillingham, Sam Ogundele, Sandy Wollangk, Yoichi Morishima and Miriam Terc. Also putting together a marathon relay team is Whitney La Rocca (which I missed getting on) ... oh well, I'll just run the half and join in the fun!

And, of course, on Saturday, March 12th, I'll be participating in the Bayou City Classic 10K downtown. It will be another event that I'll be trying to ensure that I lower my time from last year and it's the first race of the H-E-B Texas 10K Challenge.

I'm still thinking about doing God's Country Marathon in north central Pennsylvania the first weekend in June of this year and if I do, I need to start formulating my plan to get ready. I think part of the reason for my success at the Houston Marathon is because I logged a lot of miles getting ready (actually much more than I did before the Marine Corps Marathon).

All I know is this, right now in my life, the running and working out makes me happy! Not that I wasn't lacking of friends (I have tons of them as well as personal and professsional acquaintances from my work in private and parochial high schools), but the people that I have come to know since I started running have added richly to my life!

One of the dangers that I can face is being decimated with a string of less than stellar times; however, to avoid that pitfall, all I need to do is look at the picture of me coming down the stretch at that very first event (and wonder why there aren't cracks on the street in front of the George R. Brown Convention Center!)

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Also competing in the marathon relay at Seabrook will be the SMARTie team of Gavin "Turtle" Dillingham, Tom "Pokey" King, Brett "Slow as Molasses" Riley and Steve "Lightning" Shepard.

6:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home