Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Monday, March 21, 2005

Long Run in Jackson / Striders at Seabrook

Well, I didn't pull out that half marathon course and run Sunday morning. (I slept in. I had an excuse. I stayed up late after watching four college basketball games all day Saturday here in Jackson, Tennessee.)

And after lunch, the NAIA Final Four press conference at the Doubletree Hotel and dinner with the HBU Huskies women's team and some parents, I finally dragged myself out of the hotel at about 9 p.m. this evening to put in a run of 1:50 (an hour and 50 minutes). [I really wish I could train on these long inclines on a regular basis.]

I have no idea what the distance was, but my perceived exertion level was medium to slightly hard. I figured that I averaged an 11 minute mile (maybe a little less). I really felt like my pace was pretty consistent through the entire 110 minutes. Therefore, I probably ended up doing about 10 miles. And overall, I felt very, very relaxed although my back and the area behind my knees are beginning to hurt a little bit.

Meanwhile, Striders running coach Steve Shepard reported an excellent turnout at the Seabrook Lucky Trails Marathon and Half Marathon. He indicated that a torrential rain overnight gave way to splashy puddles and warm conditions. (Hmmm ... sounds a lot like the reports from Austin last month.) Here are some of the results:

Seabrook Lucky Trails Half Marathon
Andrea Chan - 2:59:05
Megan Clark-Dillingham - 2:01:14 PR! [Way to go Megan!]
Charles Deeds - 2:25:19
Carole Flad - 2:03:33 First Timer!
Rachel Guenther - 1:36:16 First Timer! 3rd womens overall! [6 weeks away from Vancouver Marathon!]
Frank Halter - 2:06:52
Cindy Laidlaw - 2:01:01 First Timer! [Is thinking Cindy was coming back from an injury!]
Joe Linke - 3:11:39
Lynlee Linke - 2:15:16
Noah Matthews - 1:57:31 [Almost an identical time to his Surfside Beach half marathon time]
Judith Neufeld - 3:521:39
Loren Neufeld - 2:17:02
Pam Paling - 2:06:52
Sam Ogundele - 1:57:21 PR!
Mary Ramirez - 2:42:07
Jack Rubalcava - 3:11:40
Lisa Ruthven - 2:16:37
Rich Sears - 1:56:49
Patti Sears - 1:56:48
Barbara Shepard - 2:24:41
Stacy Stepler - 2:24:41 PR!
Donna Whisonant - 2:26:57
Jean Wrench - 2:47:02

Seabrook Lucky Trails Marathon
Lee Greb - 4:43:36
Santos Hernandez - 4:05:49.1
Karen Rosenfeld - 4:12:09 (4th female overall)


Seabrook Lucky Trails Marathon Relay
SMARTies (Gavin Dillingham/Tom King/Brett Riley/Steve Shepard) - 2:50:59 2nd overall!
Strider Turtles (Charlie Rodriguez/Christina Rodriguez/Debbie Rodriguez/Cynthia Moreno - 4:52:22)
Three Babes and a Hunk (Whitney La Rocca/Ryan Stepler/Jacquelyn Tomlinson/Cindy Weiss - 4:22:06)
Trail Babes (Terry Halliday/Terry Halliday/Karen Bowler/Paige Krekeler - 3:31:44)


Some other notable times and thoughts from that event: Suzy Seeley turned in another solid performance to win the women's marathon in a time of 3:37:05 ..... Ann Leoni and Susan Schreiber, both Run The Woodlands 5K regulars, posted marathon times of 4:29:42 and 4:40:31, respectively ..... 68-year-old Lou Wilson of The Woodlands finished his 8th marathon of the season in a time of 5:53:34 ..... Lou's wife, Nora, finished third in the 40-49 age group in the half marathon with a time of 1:49:51 ..... It was good to see the PR of 2:24:41 from fellow '04 Fall Fitness PIMster, Stacy Stepler ..... Galveston Daily News columnist Bernice Torregrossa, 50, finished the half marathon in 2:58:55 ..... Former Houston Chronicle running columnist Patti Muck, 46, ran the marathon in 4:16:49.

3 Comments:

Blogger Syd said...

Good run. What do you do about back pain? I had that for the first time this morning's run. Everything was fine except for that ache.

Also, there is a Surfside race? (I live near Surfside) Where is a good place to find these local runs?

Sorry for all the questions.

9:25 AM  
Blogger equarles said...

http://www.brazosport.edu/~BARRA/upcomingraces.htm

check out the whole website for more info

11:53 AM  
Blogger Syd said...

Ah! Great link. Sidenote. Bill Shaw was one of my professors when I attended BC. My favorite english class ever! Certainly promted my decision to get a journalism degree from UT. I'll probably join BARRA, though I'm in no shape for a half marathon this year, maybe by next I can make that one.

12:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home