Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Sunday, March 27, 2005

Long Run Pains

As I pointed out a post or two ago, I'm contemplating a June marathon and I know that I needed to get working if I'm going to do that. The two weeks that I basically took off was indeed (save runs of 5 miles, 10 miles and a 5K) needed from a mental perspective. However, the physical toll came tonight.

Everyone, including our running coach with the Striders, Steve Shepard, points out to never increase your weekly mileage over 10 percent. When I measure how far I ran, I may still not have; however, there must be another axiom to never increase your long run by more than 10 percent as well.

Tonight I broke that axiom and physically feel the worst that I have since I started running. I figured that I'd go out an hour and a half in one direction and then head back for a three hour run (yes, I only did 1:50 last Sunday night). I messed up the timing coming back; however, it was long on the way back.

On the way out, I was at what I believe to be 6.6 miles in 1:10:52. At 1:25:45, I took a 3:01 break and headed back in the opposite direction.

The 14:52.93 that it took me to get to the turnaround point took me 15:27.98. (I marked that spot because I wanted to see what the 6.6-mile time was coming back.) That put me at 1:41:14 overall and from there, I messed up my watch twice.

And even worse, I walked a lot in the last three miles. I wasn't necessarily tired cardio-wise; however, my lower back and the area right above my pelvic bone in the front of my body felt the stress. (I'm not sure if the remaining weight is taking its toll on me or not finally.) And my legs hurt more than ever. 4 Advil were ingested before I sat down to write here.

I stopped along the way back to take in some Gatorade (24 oz.) that I bought at the store (stopping the watch of course too), but I'm wondering if the pullover sweater which was holding all the sweat (and keeping me warm) added a little extra too (and/or I may be getting a signal that it is time to switch shoes.)

I'll measure the distance on Monday. I suspect it will come in at about 16 miles out and back along FM 2920 (yes, I was wearing my reflective vest and materials.) The official distance was 15.6 miles, measured by Ford F150!

All I know is that I hurt and don't want to do this hurting again! Good night!

2 Comments:

Blogger Tiggs said...

owwwww! I did 13 miles on Saturday morning and I was feeling a little dead-legged at the end. Being sore sucks, but at least you know you worked yourself out hard!!! I ran the Memorial park loop and then down to the GRB and back. It's about 13 miles, not sure the exact. Oh and I checked into Marine Corps. I think the registration opening date is actually April 6, not April 1. You did MCM right? How was it?

12:05 PM  
Blogger WalkSports.com said...

I did do the MCM and probably would have enjoyed the entire experience much better if I hadn't gone in and out in less than 48 hours (but had to because of my 9-year-old daughter). If you want to read the report that I did for the Striders newsletter, you can go here -- http://www.houstonstriders.com/archive.htm -- and choose the November 2004 issue. I just got the MyMarathonDVD back which summarizes the experience rather well (as well as clips of me crossing five specific places on the course). If you wish to view it, I'd be more than happy to arrange getting it to you to see. I think it would do more justice to it than I would. (Basically, I was so focused on finishing that I really didn't enjoy the sights running.)

12:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home