Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Sunday, April 24, 2005

Run The Woodlands 5K #128 Race Report

Once I committed to umpire three 8-and-9-year old baseball games in our church's youth sports program, I basically then committed to running the bimonthly Run The Woodlands 5K. And what a day to run! PR weather ... almost!

I ran my second best 5K ever, clocking a time of 28:45.20, and missed my personal record by just 9 seconds. (Hmmmm ... what if I hadn't walked twice? Who knows actually?)

Certainly I was curious about how I was going to bounce back from running a 5K less than 12 hours before and not getting to bed until about 2:30 a.m. Saturday morning, but it looks like I did OK. And I really did feel pretty good. (Of course, I was a little encouraged about meeting The Woodlands' legendary cross country and track coach Danny Green.)

I could tell I was running well because there were lots of people around! (When I first ran this event, a good day was for me to see one person!)

I got off to an 8:56.76 first mile, knew that it was a little fast for me and that I wouldn't be able to hold it completely. However, I got to the 2-mile blue dot on the pavement and found myself staring at a time of 18:17.45 (with a second mile of 9:20.69).

At the first part of the second mile, I passed Debbie Tripp and Denise Van Kuiken as they were running together. I knew that if Denise went out on her own that she'd eventually pass me, which she did just before the mile 2 marker.

The third mile was more of a challenge it seemed than the night before as I took a short 30-plus step walk break just past mile 2 and the 2.3-mile left turn back onto Crown Ridge. suprisingly, my third mile time was 9:35.44 to give me a three mile time of 27:52.89.

I tried to kick it into gear on the last one tenth of a mile as I could. I had forgetten what my PR time was, but knew I was going to be close to it and that I would crack 29 minutes again and beat my previous course record there.

I covered the last one tenth in 52.31, which was under a 9 minute per mile pace, and finished in 28:45.20.

I later saw my good friend, Kenny Gibson of Montgomery, at our church as he was umpiring at one of the other fields for his Dad, Joe, who coordinates the umpires and officials there. I told him that I would have been nipping at his heels. He chuckled that I might have beaten him as he hadn't run since he did the event four (4) weeks before. He said that he was planning on being out there on the 14th of May as well as bringing some folks from the Sunday School class that he teaches. There's something to be said for strength in numbers -- or a higher place in the finish if they are slower runners!

Other event highlights included: Katie Gwyn won her 4th female title in four tries by setting a personal course record of 18:44 and lowering Perla Rios (now Rodriguez)' 20-29F standard in the process. Rios ran 19:16 in race #57 where future husband, Gabriel Rodriguez, set the all-time course record of 15:29 ..... Lisa Green, Tom Sherwood and Rhonda Birmingham all posted 2005 best time in their respective age groups ..... Clint Sherrouse's winning time of 16:10 was an April age group best (20-29M), his personal course record and third win in four tries (the 4th was a second place finish) ..... Sherrouse's time was the 4th best time ever in the history of the event ..... Saturday's field was deep as Cesar Casarrubias time of 17:27 in sixth place was the second fastest 6th place finish ever (just six seconds off of the best 6th place finish of 17:21) ..... Chris Bittinger's 7th place time of 17:34 was the fastest 7th place finish ever ..... Huntsville's Robert Duncan was 9th in 18:54. His previous two showings were 2nd and 3rd in times of 18:40 and 19:15, respectively ..... Ann Marie Gorman took 2:12 off of the time she posted in her only other RTW appearance a year ago. Gorman finished Saturday in 29:07 bettering an April 10th, 2004 performance of 31:19 ..... Jim Harrington ran a 20:09 just five days after finishing the 109th Boston Marathon ..... Lisa Green ran her 13th RTW on Saturday in 20:15. Outside of her initial 21:55 effort in #6, her subsequent 12 efforts have been within 1:09 of each other (19:26 to 20:35) ..... 13 of the 25 members of the "20 race and over" club ran RTW #128. A 14th, Tom McDonough, was in attendance, but we hopes he isn't timing his comeback to Carl Lewis' ..... Debbie Tripp bounced back from a 32:25.9, third place age group showing last week at the Blue Bell Fun Run to finish in 28:54. It was her 40th RTW appearance ..... Denise Van Kuiken's 27:36 time was her 4th best of 17 RTW showings ..... Her husband, Gary, next weekend runs marathons on back-to-back days in Louisville and Cincinnati ..... The fast field caused Kingwood's Bill Schroeder to finish outside of 4th overall for the first time ever in 25 RTWs ..... His wife, Mindy, will join the 20-race club in her next RTW appearance ..... Vincent Attanucci was just five seconds (20:22) off of his course best (20:17) ..... While not a course record, Al Gallo's 22:57 was his best RTW showing since a pair of 22:59 showing in May/June 2002. Gallo made his 44th RTW appearance on Saturday.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home