Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Tuesday, May 03, 2005

Denton's Koch profiled in DMN and wins prestigious Counselor Educator of the Year Award

Fitness is well worth the weight
Denton man running for his life {ellipsis} and loving it
08:07 PM CDT on Thursday, April 28, 2005

Shane Koch of Denton had a memorable week, capping a great running season. It was an exhilarating culmination to a 2 ½ -year life-altering transformation for Koch, and running played a key role in the change.

Koch, 39, an assistant professor and coordinator of Rehabilitation Studies at UNT, clocked his 10th consecutive personal best at Sunday's Oklahoma City Memorial Marathon (4 hours, 39 minutes, 25 seconds). The next day, he found out he is the 2005 recipient of the prestigious Counselor Educator of the Year Award from the International Association of Addictions and Offender Counseling.

Before January 2003, none of it seemed possible. Koch said he weighed 425 pounds and couldn't shop for groceries without multiple rest stops. He needed five daily medications to manage diabetes, hypertension, sleep apnea and esophageal reflux. The apnea was so severe, he said he fell asleep at traffic lights and while driving.

"I was dying," said Koch, who is 6-2 and now weighs 247. "My wife constantly feared for my life."

Koch had recovered from a 10-year addiction to drugs and alcohol. Being clean and sober didn't help with his compulsive eating disorder. He was trapped in his body until he joined a 12-step recovery group to work on his eating habits. He started walking regularly and tried jogging in May, when he weighed about 340. "I ran about two blocks and did not have a heart attack," he said. "It was kind of a surprise I didn't die."

He increased his activity and set goals. He ran his first 5K on July 4, 2003. Two weeks later, he ran another and improved his time.

"That got it started. I kept running longer and longer distances."

Koch met other runners and learned about the Cross Country Club of Dallas and its distance events. He completed his first marathon at the 2003 White Rock Marathon in 5 hours, 36 minutes.

"I would have never seen myself as a runner, not in a million, billion years," he said. "Every time I run a step, it's like a miracle, a gift. My running has actually been the end rather than the means of my weight loss. It's my reward. Because I'm working the food program and seeking recovery, I get this wonderful gift of running.

"Also, it's given me the ability to carry the message that recovery from compulsive eating is possible and that we can do lots of things that no one would have dreamed about. It's pretty humbling."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home