Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Wednesday, May 11, 2005

Not The Smartest Run of All Times

Let me run through some of the particulars and you can either confirm or deny the title of this post:

1.) It is Albuquerque, New Mexico and where I was at, I was at 5,000 feet above sea level.
2.) I had not run here in two weeks. (Despite the cold air burning in my throat, I ran the first 13 minutes without stopping.)
3.) I had not run more than a mile and a half since May 1st.
4.) It was 8:20 p.m. when I started my run. (Therefore, it was dark and there were parts where the footing wasn't so sure.)
5.) I had only run twice since May 1st because I was resting my left calf muscle.
6.) I had not done any physical activity since Saturday as I had come down with flu/cold possibly leading to an ear infection.
7.) I had just started to feel better this evening when I went out for the run.

With all of that in mind, I ran for 55:38 out of maybe an hour and 15-20 minutes. I have no idea how far I went, but I felt like I was running at about a 10:30/mile pace. Plus it started to get cold outside and the last 2 miles coming back was straight into the wind that I didn't realize was at my back 2 miles going out. And with it being cold and windy outside wasn't the best thing for just having turned the corner perhaps on getting well.

Nonetheless, I ran. And yes, I walked some.

But ... who cares? My legs felt good. I didn't want to have not run at all heading into Saturday's Run The Woodlands 5K and there's an outside shot, depending on how I feel and if I can get on the 1:40 p.m. Continental flight home on Thursday, I may run in the HYLF Tie One On For Charity 5K at 7:30 p.m. tomorrow evening. We'll see how I feel.

(Plus I learned today from team captain John DiMarco that I'll be running the 5th of 6 legs at the Beach to Bay Relay in Corpus Christi next Saturday. I thought I heard him saying something about me running over the bridge. This will be interesting.)

Ya'll take care and thanks, as always, for reading.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I want to do the Tie One On for Charity too (I hear they are going to have plenty of beverage of the adult type as well as Hooters wings) and it is also a chip-timed event. But what I am really excited about is the Astros Pennant 5K at the end of this month. Included in the cost of registration are 2 Astros tickets for a game the following week-cool!
-Jessica, a Houston runner

5:25 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

I haven't been running much lately either, hoping my knee will recover. Instead, I think it's getting worse.

The Astros run is a good one. I'll be there taking photos! Two years ago I ran it...

7:24 AM  
Blogger WalkSports.com said...

Last year's Race for the Pennant was brutally humid! I paced Waverly on that one. Sarah, you did a nice job on that one two years ago - 31:08.3. I was on the same course and did it in 38:41.0! Ouch! The only reason why I won't do it again this year is because it may be the RTW's founder's last event that same Saturday.

10:47 AM  
Blogger Tiggs said...

I'll be at the Law run tonight! #138 . Perhaps I'll see you there!

2:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home