Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Tuesday, May 10, 2005

Striders Excel at FLS Women's Speedo Tri on Sunday

Patti Sears captured her age group (50-54) on Sunday at Finish Line Sports' Speedo Women's Triathlon with a time of 1:05:01.2 covering the 300-meter swim, 10-mile bike ride and 3-mile run.

44-year-old Michele Reynolds finished 8th in the 40-45 age group and 25th overall with a time of 1:02:06.6 while Andrea Chan, 40, competing in a new age group this tri season, was 36th and 133rd (age group and overall), respectively, charted a 1:13:46.9 finish.

No surprises though on the event's winner. Autumn Ray, 25, hammered the field with a time of 50:21.6 finishing first overall in both the bike and the run portions. Ann Morris, 40, who won the Masters division, was Ray's closest "competition" finishing over four (4) minutes back, 54:36.2.

Seven (7) women competed in the CB&I Tri The Woodlands on Saturday and the FLS Speedo Women's Tri on Sunday. Their overall finishes are as follows among 137 and 253 finishers, respectively:

Kathy Nelson, 44, 9th, 5th
Elizabeth Whitehead, 26, 10th, 10th
Matilde Guerra, 30, 31st, 11th
Helena Finley, 38, 28th, 27th
Monica Ferley, 45, 51st, 52nd
Jill DeVay, 53, 61st, 96th
Nancy Long, 50, 131st, 204th

2 Comments:

Blogger Sarah said...

Nice recap of the event! I did it last year and loved it, and was disappointed that I couldn't do it this year because I was out of town. I was nowhere near 50 minutes though...last year I did 1:17 or something. :)

8:04 AM  
Blogger WalkSports.com said...

Well, Autumn Ray is a machine (and has a pretty nice website to boot)! She stated there that she was going out to set the event course record. (Not sure if she did or not.) I glanced for your result, but remembered it wasn't in your events list.

8:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home