Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Thursday, May 05, 2005

28th annual Lincoln National Guard Half Marathon Race Report

Career Events: 103 (23 in 2005).
Career Half Marathons: 15.
States: 13.
Half Marathons in 8 states.
Event gun time: 2:22:13.
Event chip (and stopwatch) time: 2:18:51.

Sunday morning in Lincoln, Nebraska temperature-wise wasn't too cold, just 37 degrees. However, it was the wind that would make the morning seem almost absolutely frigid!

The local bank signs on the way towards Memorial Stadium revealed a warmer temperature than that a day earlier in Des Moines, but winds, sometimes gusting, made it feel much colder than it was even on the morning of the Houston Marathon this past January.

Most took refuge from the elements in the Huskers volleyball gymnasium and impressive intramural sports facility. (With facilities such as that, why ever stop going to college? Oddly enough, I never realized that there were national championships in intramural athletics, but Nebraska has won some.)

Having been through Lincoln three years ago on vacation, I remember it being very flat; however, mile 3 had a nearly mile-long uphill that ran right into the sun at 7:30 a.m. With glasses, I was almost blinded chugging up the hill.

The grade wasn’t steep at all, but it threw my pace off a little. After opening miles of 10:06 and 10:18, the next three, which included historic Sheridan Boulevard and many of the finest old homes in the city, consisted of 10:40, 10:37 and 10:40.

Mile 6 gave runners a couple of slight downhills turning on to 48th St. before making a hard right onto a bike path that would extend along Highway 2 for two and a half miles. At the 10K spot, just after the turn, I was at 1:04:48 after posting a 10:14 mile in mile 6.

After a steady 10:21 in mile 7, disaster nearly occurred before the mile 8 marker. The bike path, which allowed at the most four people to run side by side, had two runners that decided to take a walking break; however, they were walking two abreast on the path.

Myself and a number of other runners tried to make a quick pass on the left. Since it was a little bit of an incline, I tried to plant my left leg to mimic the hill workouts we would do during PIM. It was then that I felt my calf muscle pop (or tear). I felt as if I had been shot!

I slowed some 23 seconds in mile 8 (10:21 to 10:44) before slipping to an even 11-minute mile in mile 9.

Somehow in an uphill mile 10, I recovered to pull in a 10:27 mile, but miles 11-13, which included some challenging head winds running north on 10th St., saw me slow to 10:59, 10:49 and 10:52.

After having to jump a curb at 12 ¾ miles, runners ran through campus buildings before being brought into a “U”-shaped finish in front of Memorial Stadium much like Houston did in 2004 in front of the George R. Brown (before switching to this year’s long straightaway finish). Even though I’m not a Texas Longhorns fan, I crossed the finish line, just a few hundred yards from the Huskers’ hallowed turf, with “Hook ‘em Horns” signs!

I finished with a chip time of 2:18:51, just over two minutes slower than I had done less than 24 hours before (and my fourth such finish of a half in the 2:16-2:18 range since March). However, I was still very pleased with my effort!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home