Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Half Ironman Max Lucado!

Nearly everyone that embraces Christianity is familiar with the writings and teachings of San Antonio's Max Lucado (who is currently the Pulpit Minister of the Oak Hills Church in the Alamo City). What few probably knew, me included, is that Max, 50, is a triathlete as well.

This past weekend, he competed in the Buffalo Springs Lake Triathlon Half Ironman in Lubbock, Texas. Max finished 9th of eleven (11) 40-and-over Clydesdale triathletes by completing the 70.3-mile course in 7:23:49. (He was 601st overall.)

He swam 1.2 miles in 47:44 before riding the bike 56 miles in 3:38:52 and running a half marathon in 2:42:25.

I have an e-mail into his ministry to see if this was his first Half Ironman. Here is a picture of him with Team Aegis' member Susie Gallucci:
http://susiegal.blogspot.com/2005/06/triathletes-and-authors.html

(6/29 Update: Max's ministry, courtesy of Karen Hill, confirmed today that this indeed was his first Half Ironman.)

2 Comments:

Blogger freethoughtguy said...

I don't embrace Christianity (or any supernatural belief system), so I am not familiar with Max Lucado. I peeked at his website, and it looks like the usual Christian stuff: kneel down and pray, humble yourself to a higher power, read the Bible over and over, prepare for an afterlife, etc.

I am a runner, which is why your blog caught my eye. I love running. Maybe it's the endorphins, but when I run, I really get in a nice zone and I really feel in touch with myself and my world. I feel so connected to my planet as I rapidly traverse its surface. (When I run in the rain, I really feel my place in the universe.) It makes me realize that we're all connected and we're all made of the same stuff. I'd say I feel "spiritual" but I dislike using that word because of its connotations to religion and the supernatural. As an Atheist, I reject the supernatural in favor of the natural. I need my planet, and my planet needs me. It's up to me, and my human family, to care for the planet. There's no god in charge. I am my own highest power.

It sounds like you are a Christian. If so, I am curious: when you run, do you still feel like an underling? Do you seek the strength to carry on from within yourself, or do you continue to attempt to make communication with God, Jesus, Mary, or any supernatural beings? Who do you credit with your running successes (and/or failures)? Yourself? Or another entity? Is it a percentage (i.e. 70% self-training, prep, and motivation / 30% supernatural intervention)?

3:18 PM  
Blogger WalkSports.com said...

For one, I never feel like an underling whether I am running or not.

I communicate with God as often as I can, including when I run. Even though I'm disappointed at times with how I'm running, as I've been lately, I'm thankful to Him that I have the opportunity to get out and do what it is that I do when others can't.

The ability I have to run (and do all other things) comes from God and yes, He deserves the credit. Do I give it to Him as much as I should? Probably not. Something else for me to continually work on.

3:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home