Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Sunday, July 17, 2005

7/4-7/17 Weekly Workout Information

The last two weeks have been challenging as far as getting my workouts in; however, I have to get my back side into gear. Therefore, I've modified last week's incomplete post into a complete one for the past two weeks.

Monday, July 4th through Sunday, July 10th
Monday: Stu's Country Mile 5K, Centerville (3.1 miles+).
Tuesday: Treadmill, Marriott Courtyard, Albuquerque, NM (60 minutes; 4.48 miles; Started at 4.0 mph and increased .1 every 6 minutes.) Really felt good on this and three of the last four minutes, at the highest speed, I nailed 168, 172 and 172 strides. I'll have to compare to what I actually do on the road.
Wednesday: Off (I had to go from Albuquerque to Espanola during the day and then go to bed early to drive to and from Clovis on Thursday before flying home.)
Thursday: Off (Plans were well intended to get to the gym, but the flight in from Albuquerque was delayed because of a ground stop due to weather at IAH.)
Friday: Off again (Just was down in the dumps and never left the house.)
Saturday: Run The Woodlands 5K #133, The Woodlands (3.1 miles, 31:17. Not good, but as Sam Rodriguez said, "I was there.")
Sunday: 11.4 miles with the Striders at Bear Creek Park (Well, 10 miles on a slow jog. Walked in the last 1.4 miles. Hard to believe that I did two halves on back-to-back days in late April. I'll be back though.)

Monday, July 11th through Sunday, July 17th

Monday: Off (Travel day to Albuquerque plus I had to get a new employee situated on her first day on-site. Did go to one of the top Mexican restaraunts in town, El Pinto, in the north part of town. Had to get up early to make a trip on Tuesday to Tucumcari.)
Tuesday: Off (Got back from Tucumcari after being up at 4:30 a.m. and drove up to the top of Sandia Crest. Saw the end of the famous La Luz trail at the top of the crest, but also spied out the 1.75-mile trail from the Crest to the Tram Station. I plan on running it next week. Why? It is at 10,500 feet! Downhill is easy. Back up is a little challenge.)
Wednesday: Off (Just didn't feel like doing anything; therefore, I didn't. I went to bed early at like 7:45 p.m. I got up at about 11:30 p.m. to get something to drink, dressed, but didn't go out and do any running.)
Thursday: Off (Same as last week. Got in at about 8:45 p.m., but I had to fill up with gas and drop some mail at the Post Office. Too late to go to the gym.)
Friday: 50 minutes on the elliptical trainer and a 15-minute run on the treadmill at the Bally's in The Woodlands (I did almost 5 miles in 50:50 before I felt my achilles muscle in my left calf tighten up then I got on the treadmill to do a 15-minute run where I set it at 4.5 mph and upped it .1 every minute. I finished at 5.9 mph. I feel like I can do more though.)
Saturday: 5K in Clear Lake and 2.1 mile-brisk walk with Waverly.
Sunday: 2.1 mile-brisk walk with Waverly, a 60-minute run on the treadmill and a 60-minute stationery bike ride at the Bally's in The Woodlands. (I did 4.94 miles in an hour by starting it at 4.5 mph and upping it .1 every six (6) minutes. It finished at 5.4 mph before cranking out an hour on the stationery bike at level 7. 24 minutes of hill work and 36 minutes of random.)

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That treadmill workout sounds good. I generally do 4.0 for 4 minute/ 5.0 for 2, five times. But I may try to switch it up. I'm not sure that my short legs are ready to go beyond 5.0 at this point. Good job.

9:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keep Blogging!

11:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home