Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Friday, July 22, 2005

Friday Night Meanderings

We'll see what happens in the morning at the Run The Woodlands 5K #134. Hopefully the recent rains will keep things cool and maybe I can slip back under 30 minutes for a 5K.

The last two evenings, I've hit the elliptical trainer at the Bally's in The Woodlands that I work out at. Thursday night, I was only able to get in 40 minutes (covering 3.71 miles at level 15, random); however, I did this without using the sticks at all.

Tonight, I found out that there is a difference between level 15 and level 16 -- a seemingly significant amount of increased resistance. I was on for 60 minutes covering only 5.1 miles but once again: no sticks.

GO LONG: I need to get in a good long run on Sunday. There are plenty of events that I'll be able to get my miles in heading into New York City in early November.

JUST A LITTLE TIGHT: Well, I confirmed that the weight might be what is slowing me down a bit. I took my two long sleeve technical shirts to wear running in the mountains this week in Albuquerque. The blue Nike that is an XL fit comfortably for Monday's night run; however, the white Marine Corps Marathon that fit nicely right after is a little body snugging. And/or maybe it is a just an inch or so here and there. Might be time to start getting in the situps again.

NEXT WEEKEND: I'm toying with the idea of doing a 7.2-mile, 1,600-foot climb race called the Sandia Peak Challenge next Saturday while in New Mexico. Waverly is flying out Thursday night (into Amarillo of all places ... only place to get a cheap reward ticket) and we are going to do lots over the three days (maybe even a balloon ride ... they're expensive, by the way.)

THREE WEEKENDS AWAY: I'm thinking about staying over the weekend after my last week of work in Albuquerque and going to Flagstaff, Arizona to do a half marathon on Saturday, August 13th. As I've said before, we'll see. (I'm also staring at the 10-Miler on Sunday, August 28th in San Antonio at Fort Sam Houston.)

STRIDELINES ARTICLE: I'm close to finishing up an article on Houston running blogs for the Houston Striders' Stridelines newsletter in August and will probably do a recap article for those nine (9) Striders that finished the inaugural Love theHalf (Marathon) Challenge for the September issue.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home