Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Monday, July 25, 2005

Weekend Running (Past)

No, no, I haven't died. I'm still around. Working hard, trying to get ahead. :)

On Saturday, I extended my Run The Woodlands 5K consecutive appearance streak to nine (9) by recording a time of 30:28.03. It still isn't back in the 29's where I want to be; however I'm being consistent and my times are trending down.

My first mile was 9:19.93. I was trying to make sure that I didn't go out too fast and completely flame myself out. I passed a few people on the first loop and as I approached the first mile spot, RTW regular Debbie Tripp had run the last quarter-mile with me before she stopped to take a walk break.

I really focused on keeping moving in mile 2 (as I've been building my endurance back) and put together a 10:00.89 mile. Debbie had caught back up with me, but once again she took a walk break just past the mile 2 mark on the pavement. At about the 2.1- or 2.2-mile spot, I took a quick 80-plus step walk break then picked the pace back up.

Mile 3 was registered in 10:17.59 (and a combined deficit in miles 2-3 of 25 seconds from the week before) and Debbie continued to take me being ahead a little of a challenge. She caught back up midway through mile 3 as well as Nacogdoches' Mary Anne Harris.

As we hit the mile 3 "blue spot" on the pavement, I decided it was time to make a move on the two (2) ladies. (I know, Mr. Gentleman here!) I rattled off a tenth of a mile of 49.62 seconds (second fastest of the year) and while Debbie almost caught me and recorded the same time of 30:28, I narrowly edged her for 48th place of 61! A photo of the finish can be found here.

On Sunday morning, I got out of bed at about 5 a.m., left the house at 5:30 a.m. and drove to the Power In Motion (PIM) meeting spot to meet up with nearly 20 other Houston Striders to do the 11.4-mile River Oaks route. The route is basically the one that is marked Royal Oaks on the HARRA website but it includes going up Post Oak all the way to Memorial.

Aside from making a water stop or two (and missing a turn or two because I didn't see the last person in front of me), I ran the majority of the distance (even though I was the slowest of the group that went the longer distance) and had a lot more endurance this week than I had a week or two before out at Cullen Park in Katy. So things are looking up!

Our running coach, Steve Shepard, commented via e-mail later, "Glad you're feeling largely self-sufficient on these things; learning the River Oaks route is definitely a fundamental part of the education of the Houston runner."

I covered the first part of the course in 1:35.17 and the short part (from Memorial and Loop 610 down Memorial before turning left at the corner of the Loop and going back to the PIM meeting spot by the Aquatic Center) in 26:35.93 for a total time of 2:01:53.

Other Striders in attendance included: John and Ryan DiMarco, Doug Spence, Steve and Barb Shepard, Carole Flad, Lynlee Linke, Stacy Stepler, Whitney La Rocca, Yong Collins, Karen and Tim Bowler, Chris Boylan, Rich and Patti Sears, Gavin Dillingham, HoJin Lim, Ted Traynor and newcomers David and Jennie Minkin and Eric Glaves.

Monday is an off day after 7 straight days of good, solid effort!

Monday: 40 minutes on the Sandia mountain trails.
Tuesday: 39 minutes on the treadmill
Wednesday: 60 minutes on the Sandia mountain trails.
Thursday: 40 minutes on the elliptical trainer
Friday: 60 minutes on the elliptical trainer
Saturday: Run The Woodlands 5K
Sunday: approximately 11.4 mile-long run

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sunday we also had Rich Klick, Charlie Rodriguez and Mark Gonzales in tow for an even 25.

Steve

7:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home