Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Tuesday Night Run in Alpharetta

I didn't get out to run here in Alpharetta, Georgia until late this evening at approximately 11:40 p.m., but I needed to as I didn't run or workout Sunday or Monday. (Sunday was explainable as it was a travel day and last night I went to bed early because I was just plain tired.)

Using the Gmaps Pedometer, I estimated that I ran 3.5 miles in 38:58.65 - a nice leisurely pace of 11:08/mile. (Hmm, it seemed faster than that.) The legs were as follows:

1.4 miles - 16:21.16 - 11:41/mile
Out of SpringHill Suites parking lot, left on Deerfield Parkway to Cumming Highway
1.8 miles - 19:26.38 - 10:48/mile
Deerfield Parkway from Cumming Highway all the way back to Windward Parkway
0.3 miles - 3:11.11 - 10:37/mile
Deerfiled Parkway from Windward Parkway back to the SpringHill Suites parking lot

However, it doesn't make sense the two shorter legs don't add up to the longer leg. So the first leg becomes 1.5 miles (at a 10:54 pace) and the overall distance is 3.6 miles for a 10:50 pace - which is more reasonable.

Works for me. Besides it was cool, yet my shirt was completely soaked. One side note: My new Asics Fortitude running shoes are forcing me to strike more to the front and middle of my foot as opposed to a heel strike with my Brooks Beast. (Couldn't figure out why the outsides of my upper thighs were hurting so much on Sunday. Now I might know why.)

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the info on the gmaps for planning runs. I am trying it out this weekend.

7:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home