Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Jackson Hill and the Elliptical Trainer

It is great to be home for a week and to get in a run or two with the local troops (i.e. members of the Houston Striders.) I made the drive - a little hurried to get there at 7 p.m. - to Memorial Park to meet at the normal Wednesday night Power In Motion (PIM) meeting location.

One group headed out to do the Memorial Park Loop one time while another group of 10 or so did the Jackson Hill Route (which I measured with the pedometer on sueandpaul.com). It was 2.15 miles there and, with an adjustment or two on the way back (turned on Feagan - or the street in between it and Blossom - instead of Blossom), it was 2.19 miles coming back.

Out - 21:40.72 (2.15 miles) - 10:05/pace
Back - 25:37.46 (2.19 miles) - 11:42/pace (ugh!)

I ran the entire way with Tim Wesneski, who joined the Striders back in April (May 2005 Stridelines). Nice guy and somebody that runs on Wednesday evening that runs at my pace!

I am completely convinced that is a morning/night thing for me as well as being able to put it together on most race days. How else can you explain running a 29:22 5K two Saturdays ago and these times/paces? I certainly can't!

After shooting the breeze with Megan Clark-Dillingham, Steve Shepard, Carlos Camacho, Bryon Evenson, HoJin Lim, Lee Greb and Charlie Rodriguez (who showed up at about 8:35 pm to get in a run at Memorial Park), I headed north all the way to the Bally's in The Woodlands to get in 2.85 miles in 35 minutes on the elliptical trainer (random, level 16, no hands on the sticks).

Being home during the week, I also got to see Striders such as Pam Paling, Lisa Ruthven, Frank Halter, Loren and Judith Neufeld. (All 5 of which did the "Love The Half" Texas Half Marathon Challenge.)

5 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Jon, if you can, please TinyURL those running routes and link to it in your blog. I'd love more to have some more routs to run this Spring. Thanks for the great report.

11:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jon,

Glad you could make it out, there's always something cooking in Strider Nation!

Geoff Guenther's tool on the HARRA web site (the best there is, IMHO) says 2.34 miles from the PIM table to the Jackson Hill water fountain. I've measured the route several times over the years and log it as 2 1/4 miles.

Steve

6:57 AM  
Blogger WalkSports.com said...

Steve,

The last time I ran that, I've heard you religiously say 4.5 round trip. If so, then my pace out was under 10 minutes/mile which is really how I felt (not quite at close-to-PR 5K pace, but almost).

Jon

7:47 AM  
Blogger Jessica, a Austin Runner AND triathlete said...

dang!!
the one time i dont do PIM this summer-you show up! come out next wedsnesday, i'll be there for sure! (I needed a recovery day because of my knee).
-Jessica

8:16 AM  
Blogger WalkSports.com said...

Jennifer,

Unfortunately, I'll be in Atlanta next week and Bloomington, Indiana the following. Being at home now during the week is a rarity.

But I'm happy that I'm busy with the company that I joined in April as opposed to the consulting firm that I was with before.

Jon

8:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home