Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Wednesday Night Workout in Bloomington

The plan for tonight here in the former home of Bobby Knight was to push myself: two-hour workout at the gym, get something to eat, rest a little and let my stomach settle and then rattle off a late night two-hour run. 4 hours in total!

I'm going to have to do a 5-hour marathon here shortly ... so why not a similar workout. Well, I got the two-hour workout done and I ate, but the rain has gotten in the way of the late night run. (If I get up in the morning and it has stopped raining ..... lol .... if I report to you that I have, it will even surprise me!)

An hour on the elliptical machine (level 15, random, no hands on the sticks at all, 5.24 miles) and then an hour on the stationery bike (different model than the ones at Bally's in The Woodlands.)

Good workout. Not sure my clothes are going to be dry before I have to pack up in the morning. A good thing, but a bad thing too.

A couple of non-running related notes: Astros win tonight and maintain a two and a half (2.5) game lead over the Philadelphia Phillies ..... Bought Gretchen Wilson's new CD, "All Jacked Up," at Wal-Mart tonight. Good stuff! She gets the legendary Merle Haggard involved on a song called, "Politically Uncorrect" ..... Waverly started back to school today. First 6-weeks report card comes out by the end of the week. There was supposed to be a mandatory parent-teacher conference today, but with the kids missing four (4) days of school, some things get scratched. Yay! No worries in our house though. She's an excellent student and in 4 years plus kindergarten, she has made but 3 B's (all last year). Dad just asks her to do her best - and she does! ..... Get a Chronicle tomorrow and check Roberta MacInnis' running column - although I know you always do.

2 Comments:

Blogger WalkSports.com said...

Lance,

I agree with you; however, just with the temps and all, (still a tad bit humid until early this morning) I wasn't planning on running until late in the evening.

I didn't feel like sitting around and waiting until then; therefore, I went to the gym.

I'll probably run some tonight (not as many miles as I had planned for Wednesday night), but just to stay loose for this weekend.

Please don't hesitate to chime in. I don't think I'll ever get to the point that I have too much information available that I'll be paralyzed from making a decision.

I'm just trying to keep as physically fit as I can be as well as increasing all of my endurances.

9:13 AM  
Blogger Tiggs said...

Gretchen Wilson huh. Do you like Lucinda Williams?

1:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home