Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Saturday, September 24, 2005

Saturday Morning Update

9:15 a.m. -- I was awake at 6:30 a.m. to make an evaluation if I could make it to The Woodlands to join Thomas McDonough in the running of Run The Woodlands 5K Series #138. (Let make state very clearly that it was Tom's insistence to try and run the event which only would take two people to declare a race. The activity was not, if it occured was not sponsored, insured by, condoned or endorsed by Luke's Locker.)

The winds weren't *that* bad, but I saw lightning in the sky and I thought that it might have been indicative of potential tornado activities. Therefore, I came back inside and went to bed.

Currently, the winds are about the same. We are without power, but have phone service. The Chronicle reports that there are 575,000 Reliant customers without service. We have the back door open to let some cool air into the house and I'm going to break it to Gena and Waverly that at noon we should start to put the house back together again. (Actually, we could move out if we needed to right now.)

We were overprepared, but what kind of a husband or a father would I have been if we weren't prepared for the worst. Not as good of one as I could have been.

I put batteries in the radio and tried to get KHOU on the stations that they were supposed to be simulcasting on and nothing! Oh well! I turned it back off to save it in case we didn't have power for an extended time.

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Jon, sorry about the race and even more sorry about your power being out. If y'all get too hot or need to wash some clothes or have some coffee, c'mon over to the Kaiser's. We're small but cool (and very blessed).

8:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Or come on up to Austin. Not much happening other than we're eating way too much and looking forward to an afternoon of college football and Astros baseball. Awaiting word from Bill White and our employers when we should plan on returning.

Steve and Barb

9:12 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Hey Jon, that sucks that you lost power -- hopefully it'll be back soon. Here's something ironic -- we never lost it in Conroe, and I'm now back in Webster and my apartment never lost power either!! Very surprising.

Anyway, Mr. Mendeck and I wondered whether you'd gone to RtW this morning or not. :)

I'm back down in Clear Lake now, and will have time this weekend to work on that webpage! :)

5:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home